Digitalizing your vinyl collection

- ask away
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Digitalizing your vinyl collection

Post by Kiani » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:32 pm

I've got some hard to find records I want to digitalize just in case they get some scratches in the future.

So what program should I use? Does it matter what program you use when recording in wav? Don't know that much about computers, that's why I'm asking this...
Last edited by Kiani on Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:59 pm

the program is not so important. what is important is you record at 24bit and use good quality A/D converters.

patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:03 pm

+maybe know you way around some plugin's that can remove eventually hiss, pops and crackles.
I at one point recorded a few of my records, but never found the quality to be really good, maybe okay, but I've since then bought quite a few of these recordings again from Beatport.

PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:55 pm

I once began at digitalizing my vinyl, but after a week or so I was so completely fed up I gave up. Most of it is available online btw. And I pieced lots of stuff together by buying f.e. the CD release. Many tracks that aren't available digitally were also released on maxi-cd or on compilations back in the days, and often you can buy them for 1-5 euro.

I had some good results using the Audio8 from my Traktor Scratch to record vinyl. Then polished them a bit in Soundforge or now in Adobe Soundbooth.

LouisVee
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by LouisVee » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:03 pm

PsyTox wrote:I once began at digitalizing my vinyl, but after a week or so I was so completely fed up I gave up.
haha same here. I realised that my vinyl rips were equivalent in quality of a ±128k mp3 -.- its ok to play at home, but never tried thoses rips in a club.

regler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by regler » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:15 pm

I'm very interested in this topic, since I want to do the same. I have a lot of vinyl which isn't available digital.
haha same here. I realised that my vinyl rips were equivalent in quality of a ±128k mp3 -.- its ok to play at home, but never tried thoses rips in a club.
maybe just your needle is crap or something? I mean you play vinyl in a club, why should the quality be crap when you just record what's going to the sound system?

prussell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by prussell » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:46 pm

very important:
*clean the record very well
*use a good needle: i have a Shure M97xE audiophile cartridge specifically for archiving; inexpensive (US$65), and sounds WAY better than any DJ needle i've used.
*good soundcard: the Audio 8 is fine, i use the Apogee Duet....great A/D converters, extremely clear and warm.

upgrading from a DJ mixer to a dedicated phono preamp can also help with sound quality, depending on the brand/build of each.

steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:49 pm

LouisVee wrote:
PsyTox wrote:I once began at digitalizing my vinyl, but after a week or so I was so completely fed up I gave up.
i dont understand why.

i frequently rip my own tunes back off the vinyl, and they usually sound better than the original wavs, infact i'd rather play them than the original wavs in clubs.

i've even used it as a recording technique, by getting dubplates done, then recording the dubplate back into my PC so i can benefit from the cutting room's tube outboard and the vinyl warmth. it sounds lush.

just use a good cart and a good soundcard.