modular synthesis

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i guess i just feel annoyed that I wasted 1000 posts trying to explain something that could have taken a 2 minute video to show! :)

But whatever, I guess the end result is the most important thing. Modular is brilliant! (unless you're someone who doesn't like modular)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

thanks guys, i'm happy that it might have put it into perspective for some people.

i dont normally have videos of me in the studio, and this one imo is fairly lame musically, i only posted to show that you can do anything with modulars you want, the whole bleeps and bloops thing was driving me crazy, because ive also seen those videos and it does give the impression that many of the people with modulars are just playing around with noises and not trying to make music.

i'll get my GF to video a whole tune next time, maybe something a bit more interesting.
jobbanaught
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jobbanaught »

steevio wrote:thanks guys, i'm happy that it might have put it into perspective for some people.

You defo did, thanks for this!
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

sorgenkind wrote:i guess because it suddendly gives a more concrete idea about some sonic possibilities with modular in a "techno" contest.
yes in this case a video is worht a thousand posts.

Yes i was skeptikal about modular, because it was hard for me to get a picture of it, but with this video i realized it could indeed be a lot of fun.
Exactly.

I hadn't ever played on one and the only thing that I seen about them was on youtube and the videos didn't inspire me.

I have an ok knowledge of synthesis, but I cant tell much from specs. I can tell the basics, but not what its going to sound like. How do you know the difference between one square wave on one synth to another on another? so sometimes videos help me a lot.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:
sorgenkind wrote:i guess because it suddendly gives a more concrete idea about some sonic possibilities with modular in a "techno" contest.
yes in this case a video is worht a thousand posts.

Yes i was skeptikal about modular, because it was hard for me to get a picture of it, but with this video i realized it could indeed be a lot of fun.
Exactly.

I hadn't ever played on one and the only thing that I seen about them was on youtube and the videos didn't inspire me.

I have an ok knowledge of synthesis, but I cant tell much from specs. I can tell the basics, but not what its going to sound like. How do you know the difference between one square wave on one synth to another on another? so sometimes videos help me a lot.
the best way to look at it is that 99% of the modules are awesome at what they do. the sound quality is in another league imo.
more important is choosing the right modules for what you want to do.
the VCFs, VCOs, EGs usually do what you expect of them, i havent had many modules which i thought fell short.
the ones which have dissappointed me have mostly been digital ones like the Flame Clockwork. it stood out as being incapable of the precision you normally get from analogue, so much so that i personally thought it was useless and sold it within days.

dont worry about the sound, this is good sh!t bruv.
look at what connections are available, are there plenty of voltage control possibilities ? (CV inputs)
do those CV inputs control the things you want to modulate for the sorts of sounds you want to make ?
the budget modules will have compromisses. less CV control.
sometimes its best to go for the best or you'll get frustrated.

connectivity is the key.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

^^^ yeah thanks. For about £400 I think I can get what I am looking for.

There is this cool little planner here for anyone that hasn't seen it. It tells you
the price of each unit and then gives you a final price.
http://www.modularplanner.co.uk/
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

^^^
whats your plan
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

id love to dive into this, to just do some nice sequencing of weird rhythms n that but i literally have no clue what so ever about any of it. it looks really interesting, and wouldnt mind a small system, but i just cant get my head around it at all. the whole CV thing is confusing. i understand its a control voltage but i dont know how it works thats what confuses me. im thinking id just need a few vco's vca vcf etc. basically a synth get up then some sequencing module?