modular synthesis

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

^^^

they are about as flexible as semi modulars get. just a bunch of eurorack modules in a box.
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

thanks steevio, im not sure on budget at the moment. is it feasible to have a very small modular setup, essentially like a drum machine, with sequencing module to integrate into my setup? im mostly interested in rhythm, and id be very excited if i could have a small setup next to my existing workflow that could provide some nice analog sequencing/rhythm. im having trouble figuring out if thats workable having a small modular midi clocked to my existing setup. i literally have no knowledge at this at all but im really willing to basically get a case and just go from there week from week. i dont want a massive system. my knowledge of synthesis aint even that great. i just read a SOS article and the guy is saying its even good for beginners to get into modular because it can learn u a lot. i think to start with id probs spend around £500-700 then go from there. i think the great thing is i can take my time so the cash thing aint so much a problem, my biggest problem is figuring out how any of this works, im really considering just diving in the deep end and buying some things, im not much of a reader!
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

thomasjaldemark wrote:so on the path to the modular world... but stuck in the semi-modular kinda world a year or so until the account is ready for a complete system..

anyone tried MFB schlagzwerg or kraftzwerg? i have a fairly good price coming on both but would like to hear a 2nd opinion on them.. any good at all?
just do modular man, but start slow. you'll just sell the semi modular stuff anyway.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:
thomasjaldemark wrote:so on the path to the modular world... but stuck in the semi-modular kinda world a year or so until the account is ready for a complete system..

anyone tried MFB schlagzwerg or kraftzwerg? i have a fairly good price coming on both but would like to hear a 2nd opinion on them.. any good at all?
just do modular man, but start slow. you'll just sell the semi modular stuff anyway.
+1 deffo
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

gowans wrote:thanks steevio, im not sure on budget at the moment. is it feasible to have a very small modular setup, essentially like a drum machine, with sequencing module to integrate into my setup? im mostly interested in rhythm, and id be very excited if i could have a small setup next to my existing workflow that could provide some nice analog sequencing/rhythm. im having trouble figuring out if thats workable having a small modular midi clocked to my existing setup. i literally have no knowledge at this at all but im really willing to basically get a case and just go from there week from week. i dont want a massive system. my knowledge of synthesis aint even that great. i just read a SOS article and the guy is saying its even good for beginners to get into modular because it can learn u a lot. i think to start with id probs spend around £500-700 then go from there. i think the great thing is i can take my time so the cash thing aint so much a problem, my biggest problem is figuring out how any of this works, im really considering just diving in the deep end and buying some things, im not much of a reader!
theres absolutely no reason why a beginner shouldnt go with modular, which rule book says everyone must start with ableton ?
if synthesis is your thing as opposed to sampling, you will learn alot from modular, it gets you into the heart of it all.

but be very carefull that you know exactly what you're buying.

if you fancy sequencing, remember that have to have something to sequence, so you're going to need more money.
i started without sequencing and just used cubase and a midi/CV convertor, and when i could afford it, i started buying sequencing modules.

£700 will get you a nice sequencing set up, but what are you going to sequence ?
i think its better to do it the other way round.
i'd get a few VCOs, a couple of VCFs and envelope generators, an an LFO so that you can make some sounds, or i think you would just get frustrated.
then when your next money comes in, get a simple sequencing set-up going and build from there.

i could advise you what to get for your sequencing, but i'm not sure you should start there.

Doepfer modules are great for sequencing, theyre cheap and they've got everything covered.
this set-up will get you a long way;

A155/ A154
2 x A151
A156
A160/ A161

but get some basic synthesis modules first.

edit;
Analogue Solutions make http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~concuss/ make cheap individual drum modules, but i'd be wary of building just a drum machine (sequencer/drum modules) because it's not getting into the heart of what modular is about, however some of their modules are indespensible imo, if you're going to make techno,
for instance if you like snares, then the SD99 modules is a must have, its a fairly accurate copy of the wonderful 909 snare, but with extra control, and to recreate something similar with individual modules would eat up alot of modules.
i also rate the HH88 (808 hihat) but would advise having a distortion module like the doepfer A136 down line from it to give you a much bigger range of sounds and textures.

i think ive already gone over this subject elsewhere in the thread, so maybe i'm just repeating myself here, it might be worth reading the whole thread.
Last edited by steevio on Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
goomba
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by goomba »

oblioblioblio wrote:
goomba wrote:I listened bro! :)
i'm glad.

hows everything working out?
Great man! Really happy with my choices so far. I'm waiting on AH to get the HexVCA in before I buy my next batch of modules and patch cables. But I am having a blast with my small set up.. it sound's fantastic!
Anti
z3000mk2
Maths
QMMG
Envelator
Wogglebug
Rene
I only have 10 standard patch cable's but even with 10 I'm finding new ways top patch this thing up every time I switch it on. My advice to anyone starting out is to take it slow, you can do so much with so little its phenomenal. One other thing.. you need to get a MATHS 8)

oblioblioblio just a question do you have both Borg filters ? If so which one do you prefer?
who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I have both.

1 is pretty and slow and soft, but unstable when using resonance... it goes from not much resonance to ear bleeding scream in the blink of an eye. But it is a more 'harmonic' sound when using the resonance as a 'highlighter'

The Borg 2s are each quite different (vactrols vary A LOT)... one of them will do very powerful self oscillation, and the other will barely self oscillate. They are more controllable than the Borg 1, and have a lot more in between areas rather than just pretty and then near instantly to disgusting, like the B1.

They work very well in series IMO, but that's quite an expensive combination.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:that could be very interesting if it was put together right. i would be a bit nervous about having my gear around in a party type environment, but I think that could be managed, especially at freerotation.

i think the performance side should be emphasised... something like a side room that did some performances, or maybe some modular guys who appeared on some different stages over the weekend. and then one afternoon when people are in day time mode, have a space where people can try out some systems with headphones and the system owners are around to answer questions 1 on 1.
sorry for the delayed response to this mate.

i wouldnt worry about your gear, we can do it in the daytime in the chillout or something, there wont be any munters about then.
maybe not be letting people try out your gear though, keep it nice and relaxed, and of course a performance is vital.
i wonder if the post modular guys would bring their open day set-up, i did ask David last year but i think he was just getting set-up.
what was their thing like ?
performance any good ?

if anyone needs Freerotation membership invites PM me with your real name and email address.