Nord Lead 2X (Rack) or Dave Smith Tetr4?

- ask away
Daemonix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Daemonix »

virtual analog is like Seat Ibiza turbo with aftermarket extra with 450HP... and analog is like BMW m3 V8 engine :D :D

Have you heard the melody that this engine has? ? :D :D :D
nrjizer
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nrjizer »

Nord 2x is 4 part multi-timbral. You can have 4 separate mono outputs or 2 stereo outputs.
Last edited by nrjizer on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

dont write off the nord because its virtual analogue, its a very versatile synthesizer, and its morphing architecture is so unique you will find ways of working that are impossible with any other synth, and will get your creative juices flowing.
Nords are the only VAs i have in my otherwise all analogue set up now.

the Tetra will sound better but its less versatile in some ways, I dont have one but i have the prophet 08, and its a great synth.

its a tough choice.
Daemonix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Daemonix »

I really don't know a thing about nords! But even if I had some limited experience, steevio is the man to listen if you ask me.

From the photos Nord looks that has a lot of power in synthesis!

And something of topic! I didn't. Know that even dsi evolver puts the analog Osc from a/d and then again d/a converters before the outputs!!!

Tasos
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by isaaclevy »

thnaks for the comments everyone...

it is a tough choice indeed Steevio.

is the sound a lot different from one another?
my lack of experience on synths make it hard to decide between versatility or 100% analog sound (with thos little limitations)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

isaaclevy wrote:thnaks for the comments everyone...

it is a tough choice indeed Steevio.

is the sound a lot different from one another?
my lack of experience on synths make it hard to decide between versatility or 100% analog sound (with thos little limitations)
invariably my analogue synths sound better than VA's but ive only have nords and a virus b to compare.
the argument between analogue and digital becomes meaningless if you are using them on a day to day basis, the difference in sound is obvious, but i find it easier to get interesting percussive sounds out of my nords, that is mainly down to the architecture, but i usually put the nord sounds through analogue filters to sweeten them up, although sometimes i use it straight, its a good quality synth.

a combination of analogue and VAs works for me, but if the nord archictecture was available on an analogue synth, i'd buy it straight away and ditch VAs for good.

if you want to hear some nord sounds, you could listen to my myspace, theres lots of nord all over the tracks on there, especially the older ones.
almost all the percussion on all of it is Nord, and chord sounds and bass on some of the tracks.

http://www.myspace.com/steevio

edit,
a good producer friend of mine is a fellow Nord abuser and he is buying a tetra soon, so i'll ask him how they compare for you.
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

go for the DSI Tetr4

my DSI Mono Evolver blows all of my Virtual Analog synths out of the water

I've got to stack 2 Virus each with 16 voices to get anywhere near the tone and power of the DSI

Nord's have even less voices than the Virus

DSI does it!

of course having both Analog and Virtual Analog together in a track is fun, but you quickly notice the difference, and lack of life in non-analog gear
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Another vote for the Tetra. I have the mopho(and prophet 08) and the software editor makes editing patches a breeze on the mopho. Plus, resonance, cutoff, attack/decay and release have dedicated knobs and 4 programmable knobs.

I don't have a lot of experience with VA's, but I haven't opened a softsynth (other than fm8 on occasion) since I got the mopho and prophet. I learn something new everyday with these pieces. You don't have to try and make them sound fat, they are by default.

:D