Producing Berghain techno?

- ask away
bkm1978
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bkm1978 »

ICN wrote:
bkm1978 wrote: Cheers man :)

Yeah I've got Enverb :) Not played with it much so thanks for the tip!

With regards to the delay pattern. Sometimes I will turn the sync off yeah. I would say I automate the delay time, more so than the wet/dry mix. It can be real cool to have ya delay just out of kilter and slowly bring it right into time to help lock the groove at the right moment in the track. With that track specifically I am pretty sure the delay pattern is just set to 8th or quater notes but the actual dry hats pattern that I wrote is a 12ths pattern, am sure there is a better way to describe it musically, my theory aint that up to scratch :)
Sweet.

Been messing around with it, with just a couple of hits here & there, just getting the feel for it. Also trying it on longer single sounds/noises to get a bit of movement going. Really cool. I think I've got a bit of messing around yet to do until I get what you did down.. but I've come up with some interesting stuff in the meantime that I'm happy with. Thats what its all about!

Dont know how many times I've started trying to do something else & come up with something entirely different like that. Its class getting to grips with sh!t like that. Thats normally the way it ends up.

Thanks again Ben. Btw.. Not sh!tting ya Man, but I think your RMX is better than the original. Theirs didnt really jump out at me tbh. The Berkovi track is good too. Didnt know he was still making records.

Are you moving into making darker stuff like that now yourself? The sound of that compared to your other tracks on Beatport are quite different. Just wondering if you developing your sound more.

Know what you mean about the 12th Patterns. Its good doing stuff with different time signatures. Same thing with just one hit, or a short roll or something in a unevened bar Midi Pattern.. then drag that over the arrange.. even just for 16 or 32bars. It can just add a different vibe to the whole rhythm. Remove what conflicts with other bits if theres a problem with anything. My Theory aint the best either, but what you are probably getting (Correct me if I'm wrong - possibly am..) is like 3/4, 5/4 7/4 or 9/4 or 11/4 or 13/4. You'll end up with an odd amount at the end of the 16th or 32nd bar, but then you start it from the start again, so it dont matter. Again, placing the sound in the right place helps. Less is more.

Do you have Ultrabeat in L5? I find the step sequencer really good in it for doing stuff like that. Funny length bars on hats is great. Keep changing until it sounds good. I'm sure theres plenty of Step Sequencers on PC that you could use anyway.

Its Polyrhythms, isnt it? It can make a real straight beat really interesting. Cool used on a single stab or main sound.

I use Logic 9 & have a Novation Nocturn. I've got it in DAW mode, so I can do mutes & fades. Recently I've been getting a the main elements all sorted in 8 / 16bar loop, whatever.. and stretching them out for the entire length of the track that I want - just to start. I've got a filter on the Kick & have it automated at certain bits to take it out as a break, or delete regions where I want to leave a space.. and have something to aim for.

Then I'll Jam with the Nocturn & get the general basis of the structure of the track. I'll record all the fades / mutes etc.. & tidy them all up afterwards. Then add whatever. Its odd, cos I've stopped fixating on how the whole thing "sounds" now.. and am more interested in enjoying the vibe of the music. Its more of a performance & I can hear the feeing in it. Also great for hitting upon ideas & arrangements that you wouldnt have done by mouse alone.

I'd recommend it for anyone who is stuck with 8 bars.

Always loads of Nocturns going cheap 2nd hand cos people though they were going to get a "Hardware - Software Synth". I dont think they are good for that. IMO they come into their own with jamming.
Hey thanks champ :) Berkovi actually charted my mix on beatport and told me he thought my mix was the best on the release too! hahaha...very cool.

Anyway, yeah its cool to move certain things to 12th or 24th patterns. They loop eventually, thats how it works as they are all multiples of 2,4 etc :)

Yeah I have been a bit all over the shop with my productions mate. I guess I should settle but hate just producing the one style over and over, so I am getting a few 'monikers' on the go and should look at more of this style in the future. I just found the original condusive to that style of remix.

Enough about me anyway, back to Berghain techno. To term that style of music as 'Berghain' is a bit silly but yeah, it saves using numerous other words. I for one dont think it is as 'ground breaking' as many, it really draws from some classic influences though an came at a time when Techno needed some mouth to mouth.

Again, its cool in some respect to push for originality but to be posting in a forum thread based on trying to 'emulate' a sound from a group of artists that are trying to 'emulate' the sound and feel of artists like Basic Channel, Planetary Assault etc etc is a little 'hows ya father?' dont ya think? :)
ICN
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ICN »

+1 @The Irony of it all :D

But its all good - cos its not a pooling of Ideas.. only techniques.

Everyone's interpretation & application of them is going to be different, depending on ability & personal intelligence - LOL

Messing around is key. I find dragging stuff around & looping it on the arrange without thinking about the nitty gritty of it opens up the potential for something that I couldnt program normally.

Even swapping around, in the sequence of fx in the chain can make somthing ordinary into something WTF!?!!?

Fck it. If it sounds wrong.. delete it 8)
bkm1978
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bkm1978 »

ICN wrote:+1 @The Irony of it all :D

But its all good - cos its not a pooling of Ideas.. only techniques.

Everyone's interpretation & application of them is going to be different, depending on ability & personal intelligence - LOL

Messing around is key. I find dragging stuff around & looping it on the arrange without thinking about the nitty gritty of it opens up the potential for something that I couldnt program normally.

Even swapping around, in the sequence of fx in the chain can make somthing ordinary into something WTF!?!!?

Fck it. If it sounds wrong.. delete it 8)
One of Australias best ever producers/live acts, who was released on Tresor even said in an interview that his process in the studio was switching the machines on and experimenting until something jumped out at him.
ICN
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ICN »

Amen.
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

A belated 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY' to this post, its been quite a good one.. :P
thefunnel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by thefunnel »

I've been working on making my sound more "classic" "dark" "loopy" "acid" and "abstract" over the last year or so. Purchased some analog equipment, have been going a little more crazy on reverb and delay experimentation. Making loops that have dynamic, organic modulation...piled on various FX to get the dubbed-out sounds. It's been quite a learning experience for me, and helped me touch on the techno sounds that really inspired me as a DJ early on. I kinda look at it as a big fusion between DBX, Dave Clarke (Red series), Rob Hood, Basic Channel, Surgeon, Aubrey, etc. with the newer sounds of guys like Levon Vincent, Ben Klock, Claro Intelecto, Dettmann...

Just recently came across this thread from a Gearslutz link. Very informative. Read through most of it, although I haven't really had a chance to apply some of the mentioned techniques--I'm looking forward to it though. It does confirm my recent path though--the techniques I've been using are similar to what is described, so I feel like my 4-5 years of production practice is starting to pay off in being able to "know" what people are doing to get certain sounds. And that makes me a happy camper.

Great thread, good discussion, and lookie here, it's locked me in as a new mnml.nl member :)
ChrisMc
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ChrisMc »

http://soundcloud.com/chrismccormick/br ... t-of-rehab

my latest effort if anyone would like a listen
pancake
XIII NRV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by XIII NRV »

Just was there for the 6 years party...Loved it...ahhhh the special sound... :D