what is your favorite compressor?

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Chris Crompton wrote:Never heard of the Fairchild before now, but this (I think it's a digital remake?) looks legit.

http://www.uaudio.com/products/software ... index.html
it's nothing like a fairchild unfortunately. if it was it would be the most talked about software compressor and everyone would be using it.

at uni we did an A/B with the fairchild and other decent hardware and software compressors (focusrite & waves) and the fairchild was on another level. it just made everything sound amazing! it makes more difference to a recording than anything else i've ever come across.
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

psp vintagewarmer
you are what you tweed
zongo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by zongo »

I'm mostly using Ableton Live's compressor while in the mix. URS 1970 or T-Racks3's opto-compressor for home made pre mastering.
Chris Crompton
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Chris Crompton »

daveashe wrote:For normal, everyday use, ableton's compressor is my go-to, favourite and most-used. There are so many different combinations of the modes / knee curve that can create drastically different results.

For colouration (compression, analog channel emulation etc.), Acoustica Nebula 3 hands-down wins, they have an effect that can 'sample' any type of effect, even tape machines, vintage compressors, etc. the results are great but heavy on cpu - i'm sure there is a fairchild emulation in there - the preset names are changed to protect them from legal action.
I need to learn about all this stuff in depth. What does the knee curve do/ how does it effect a mix?

What would be considered everyday use as opposed to colouration?

Most importantly, where do you guys learn about all of this great information? from trial and error?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Chris Crompton wrote:
Most importantly, where do you guys learn about all of this great information? from trial and error?
yes.
trial and error is the only way with compression, and trying as many different compressors as you possibly can till you find the one that does what you want it too.
ive got 4 hardware compressors and ive tried lots of software comps, and they all have a different affect even with similar settings.

dont just use the first compressor (eg ableton) that you come across and think that you know the effects of a compressor.

compression is one of the hardest things to get right, its why i do everything to avoid using them if at all possible.

its laughable that an emulation of a Fairchild could even remotely sound like a Fairchild.
i think that its best to steer well clear of emulated vintage analogue compressors, because they arent in the same league, i think theres new software designs that will do a better job imo.

edit; also while i'm a hardware musician and swear by analogue for synths / drum machines / mixers etc. i would say that the same cannot be said of dynamics processors unless you have a lot of money to spend.

most of the budget / project studio hardware compressors imo dont perform any better than software variants. and quite often are inferior.
i have an alesis 3630 which is the compressor that Daft Punk famously use, and to be honest i dont like it at all.
even with no compression on, just putting a signal through it degrades the sound quality, it comes out all dry and flat.
i also have a Focusrite Compounder, which was bigged up by the likes of Sound on Sound magazine and wasnt exactly cheap when it came out, and again i think it also degrades the signal too much.

its hard to believe but i got some of the best results out of an old cheap behringer composer i borrowed in the 1990's.
its a minefield.
manzatour
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by manzatour »

thanks for your answers! i really appreciate.

at the moment i use the first compressor that crossed my road: the one in ableton live, and as i'm really not experienced with compressors wanted to know something more. and until now this is the only one i understand...

for the moment i think i will remain on software compressors, because of budget, and also because i still have to learn more about this process before to invest big money.

i'll try to demo some other compressors you wrote about and compare the results to find the one that fits my usage.

anyone tried the one contained in the waves ssl suite? ist this something worth?

i have another question:

if i use an hardware compressor, what will be the loss in sound quality due to the D/A A/D conversion? is this noticeable? do i need a high quality mixer? or use digital ins and outs?

thanks
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

manzatour wrote:if i use an hardware compressor, what will be the loss in sound quality due to the D/A A/D conversion? is this noticeable? do i need a high quality mixer? or use digital ins and outs?
it depends on your audio interface. i know my converters are sh!t so i wouldn't bother going out then back into the computer.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

single drums/drums group/pumping/ny compression:
UAD 1176LN

lead/pads:
UAD Neve 33609
Fairchild is also nice and both dual mono, but for some reason i like the character of the Neve much better. (theres also a Fairchild emulation from Waves and IK Multimedia btw, so you dont have to get a UAD card).

Bass:
UAD 1176LN/LA-2A/LA-3A