How to confuse - surprise the audience?

- ask away
aciduss
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

How to confuse - surprise the audience?

Post by aciduss »

Hello, i am not after vst names nor particular technique but instead i'd like you to share your thoughts and experience, specially those who have actually played their music live, on what kind of stuff surprises people or produce a "trippy" / confusing feeling.

I have my own ideas about this, but im still learning so much about music in general and techno that i'd like you to help me understand how one uses the flow of music to create this particular emotion / sensation based on your own experience.

Thanks in advance.
Chris Crompton
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Chris Crompton »

Off the top of my head, these are the three things I've noticed so far:

1. A lot of shows/parties I play, if the audience isn't real big into the clubbing/DJ scene, they always react pleasantly surprised to any remix of a pop song. They don't know what's going on and then they get surprised with a song that they actually know, ha.

2. People who are tripping or are really high always seem to get confused by polyrhythms if they're done right.

3. Instead of a huge build-up in energy during a breakdown of a song, the beat just comes back in, and the crowd is caught off guard, but if done right, it's a good thing.
Roqqert
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Roqqert »

a break down in the buildup and build it up over again. When done nicely youll get a great result
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

turn the volume down for a minute, that will definitely confuse the audience :)
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

rap badly over your tracks?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: How to confuse - surprise the audience?

Post by oblioblioblio »

aciduss wrote: help me understand how one uses the flow of music to create this particular emotion / sensation based on your own experience.
i think this is the big question for every musician.

there's no answer I don't think. it's all up to you. but the fact that you're looking into this area is probably a good sign imo.

keep digging and experimenting, and maybe you'll find some clues that work for you.
aciduss
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by aciduss »

Oh i am already finding lots of clues :) Thanks a lot you all, if you have any more information no mater if relates to formal music theory or just a dj tip, anything is welcome.

Thanks a lot for your time.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Like a live set or dj set? Personally, I never like playing peak hour sets, if that's what you're referring to. Warm up sets are so much more fun because I can play what I want and that usually is perfect for people arriving and starting to get in the groove.

I've always wanted to try a ableton/hardware set, but I barely have time to work on all the tunes I want to, let alone learn ableton and playing live.