genelec 8040 without sub?

- ask away
regler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

genelec 8040 without sub?

Post by regler »

hi,
I'm about to buy to buy a pair of genelec 8040. In most reviews I've read there was the opinion that you don't necessarily need a sub for them. I've heard them at a store, but the acoustics was so bad that I can't say too much about the sub bass response.

Does someone have a opinion about them? I mean I don't want a perfect sub bass from them, but I don't wan to feel like working with a HP filter on and only see my bass line in the analyser.

...In a nutshell, does the 8040 work without a sub for you or not?

best regards
JackNine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JackNine »

I've played with 8040's and while they are extremely accurate I don't think they have enough bass at high monitoring levels (for my tastes). But then again I'm not normal and I like stuff really loud with no distortion.

No matter what brand of speaker you choose, there is only so much bass and sub-bass you'll get out of a 6.5" driver with 90W of power going to it. You're really asking for a lot if you're hoping to get massive output in the lower frequency range at higher monitoring levels.

If you plan on monitoring at low levels, then you will be fine.
ThisWayUp
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ThisWayUp »

They do for me - I work in a smallish untreated room in a terraced house. They are loud enough and when you stand at the back of the room you can really feel the bass.

The 8040s do give out quite a lot of bass, but you're never going to hear the really low stuff clearly unless you supplement the main speakers with a sub.

The nice thing about having a separate sub is that obviously you can buy the speakers first and then add the sub on afterwards if you feel it's necessary.

Hope this helps
regler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by regler »

yeah that helps, thanks. I only have a small room at the moment, so I want a speaker that only have the bass you really need to hear ( ...I hope you get me, low bass lines etc.). feeling bass is not so important.

The 8030 definitely need a sub, so my idea was to get just the 8040 and add a sub later if I have a bigger room.