How long have you been making music for?

- ask away
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

How long have you been making music for?

Post by ::BLM:: »

All this talk about peoples music got me thinking about how long people have been making music, and how long they waited till they released their first track.

I have been making music for 6 years and released after 4 year of making music.
frickler
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by frickler »

ive benn "producing" for a little over a year. been playing the violin since i was 6.
ill probably have my first release in a few months :)
Last edited by frickler on Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

if you count annoying the neighbours with the drumkit i got for xmas when i was 11, - 43 years. (sh!t is it that long ?)
i released my first vinyl when i was 18 (still drumming) so 7years of drum practice.

i started making electronic music (electrofunk) in 1983

i started making techno in 1990 and released my first techno track in 1993, (so 3 years before i even let anyone hear anything as far as techno is concerned)
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I think there are probably quite a few exmaples of great pieces of music made by inexperienced musicians. can't think of any really obvious examples off the top of my head. 'blowin in the wind' by Bob Dylan maybe ... think he was a young'un then. and less well known is Panda Bear's s/t debut album and Caribou's first album too. i really love those albums.

I'm not saying quality control, patience, perseverance and dedication are bad things, though.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

played percussion in the primary school orchestra from the age of 9-11.

Got my first decks at 16

Start A level music tech at college at 17

Got my own computer at 18

first netlabel release at 21

first digital release at 22

still waiting for vinyl at 24 but i'm sure that will happen before i'm 26 that's my target. if i miss my target i'll set another one.
jaco
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jaco »

start messing around with reason and fruity loops at 16/17 years old...
so 7-6 years by now...
i had my first release on netlebel 2 years ago...
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

i started mumbling with cubase 7 years ago on my flatmate's computer, 1 year after i had started djing. It was dnb at that time.

Took the whole thing more seriously when i bought monitors, still for dnb. that was 3 years ago i think. However i wasn't even thinking of releasing any stuff.

Two years ago started working on some border community stuff and started playing around with the studio eins again. From then on i've really caught with minimal techno. Got my first releases this year, but havent't got my sound exactly where i want it to be yet, so i sometimes wonder if it was wise to release stuff this early...

still searching for the holy grail...

To the OP, I don't think it's a matter of years of "production", rather a question of maturity in sound, which one acquires at different rates. no?
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Opuswerk wrote: Got my first releases this year, but havent't got my sound exactly where i want it to be yet, so i sometimes wonder if it was wise to release stuff this early...

still searching for the holy grail...
you will never know it all, we're all learning and developing all the time.