How long have you been making music for?

- ask away
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

Dusk wrote:Have resisted any interest from labels because I'm not happy with any of my music. Plus - working at a download store and wading through thousands of soundalike, generic rubbish has left me totally disillusioned / enlightened with what "a release" actually means these days...

:?
+1 totally

nice topic.

I've played accordion from 6 to 13 (can't remember sht), sang in a choir for 11 years (can't sing sht nowadays), played some harps or whatsitcalled (cant play sht on them also). And I remember hating on all of it so fucking much and bcuz of that hate then I hate myself now even more :D
morale: u can't force a child to learn music, u have to make him want to.
dabbled wiht computer music at least 7 years now (buzz -> reason 1.0 - 2.0 -> logic 5 -> Live) and I don't concider myself too happy with the results just yet. And I have to feel very happy with it to release anything.

peace
M
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
Spurn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Spurn »

erdbeerschnitzel wrote:Image

My first sequencer, I was 12 years old. Damn, 14 years ago :D
haha i missed this my first time through the thread, AWESOME!!!
junooko
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by junooko »

played guitar since i were 13.
had an release with my indierock band on a small label when i was 28. got a little bit airplay at the local radio station as well.

and then everything changed: i went by accident to an outdoor festival with very minimal techno (the 2002 kind of minimal) beeing played super loud. it was my first real contact to electronic music.

quit the band, sold my guitar, got reason 1.0 and started producing.

Never send anything out since then, cause i still think i am not ready for that. i manage to get the sound quite ok and i am finishing a lot of tracks, but there is still missing soul or artistic content...
but i dont push it, it will happen or not, it is not important for me.
Chris Crompton
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Chris Crompton »

My first memory of making music was banging on pots and pans with wooden spoons to Beatles' records when I was 5 or 6! :)

After that, it was the school band/chorus and then I got into hip-hop and writing lyrics.

At 16 I discovered electronic music and started messing with Garageband on a Mac. That was in 2005. Now I'm working on producing DJ tracks/techo/house music, and I've been doing that seriously since the beginning of 2009. I haven't had a release yet.

So I'm new at it all, but I have already learned so much, especially from this forum!
nrjizer
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nrjizer »

Relevant video (first 2 minutes):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hidvElQ0xE
Harrison
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Harrison »

been doing music all my life, just classical all throughout school on piano and trumpet, did a-level music which i got and A in :D :D :D and grade 8 music theory.

been using sequencers for about 2 years now (im 20) and still not getting the sounds in my head out onto the computer, i can't get the right synths for the sounds i want and at the minute can't afford hardware (for some old school gear)

i am working now and trying to save for some hardware (synth & a 909) then hopefully get my head down and learn how to use them properly whilst i am at uni (next september i start) i can use ableton to a high standard and understand theory etc so i think i'm in a good position?

i have had good feedback from tracks i have done, which is nice and people always ask "why don't you release them" but i am a total perfectionist and i want to be 100% happy with what i release and i want to do it right, i'm a bit of a purist and i have lots of respect for people who release great music little and often (pepe bradock) rather than someone like nick curly who releases to fill his DJ diary (now) in my opinion...

one day (hopefully in the next couple of years) it will all come together!

i love music!
SHAP
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by SHAP »

2 Years, started when I was 19. Had my first release in February this year....
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

'85 started playing trumpet at 7 years old

got my first guitar and started playing at 9

started making recordings with friends in the basement with a 4 track reel to reel at 12

played first gig at 13

got first record deal at 16

went to first rave

got out the biz at 18

started playing with drum machines and whatnot at 18

making techno on a regular basis at 23

signed to a deal at 25 and released first vinyl

'09 now still pluggin' away