Demos

- ask away
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Demos

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

Hi i just read an old thread about what you label owners look for in a demo (the one that started with somebody saying "money" my thought on this is that if you wan't money you might wan't to become an investment banker instead of a techno label owner).

Any way I'm working on getting my demo sent out to different labels now and first of all I'm thinking of posting CDRs. I was wondering if people now a days find this anoying and maybe rather would like to recive it with email, seems alot of smaler labels don't have a post adress on theire websites.

Also I was thinking I might send it to a few bigger labels that perhaps already have there hands full with wonderfull artists in hope of getting some feedback. Is this a waste of time or do people still send you some feedback on your demo?

Hope these questions get some good answers cause I'm guessing alot of people wonder about these things, and we have some wonderfull and helpfull labelowners/artist on here who can help out.
erdbeerschnitzel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by erdbeerschnitzel »

Some advice from me on this topic:

- Use myspace if the label is online regularly and does not explicitly exclude myspace-demos. This means not to upload tracks in your player but to send links to tracks via myspace message, obviously. I got signed twice via myspace by this manner. The good thing about myspace is that you see if a message has been read. If so and there is no reply, you can be sure that the label is not interested.

- Write personal Messages/eMails and not an email template which is the same for every label you send music to.

- If you send a mass email to more than one label, be sure to use the BCC field instead of the CC field. ;)

- Don't send CDRs anymore unless the label explicitly asks for it.

- If you get a "sorry, we can't release that, but good music", don't be pissed, but write back and thank the person for writing at all. They might remember you in the future.
sven laux
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sven laux »

erdbeerschnitzel wrote:Some advice from me on this topic:

- Use myspace if the label is online regularly and does not explicitly exclude myspace-demos. This means not to upload tracks in your player but to send links to tracks via myspace message, obviously. I got signed twice via myspace by this manner. The good thing about myspace is that you see if a message has been read. If so and there is no reply, you can be sure that the label is not interested.

- Write personal Messages/eMails and not an email template which is the same for every label you send music to.

- If you send a mass email to more than one label, be sure to use the BCC field instead of the CC field. ;)

- If you get a "sorry, we can't release that, but good music", don't be pissed, but write back and thank the person for writing at all. They might remember you in the future.
Good points from the schnitzel. First thing you should do is to go the homepage of the label and read the demo policy. There you can find important things, for example, if you should CDs or not.
sven laux
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sven laux »

sven laux wrote:
erdbeerschnitzel wrote:Some advice from me on this topic:

Good points by the schnitzel. First thing you should do is to go the homepage of the label and read the demo policy. There you can find important things, for example, if you should CDs or not.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

New rule for demo sending in 2009: get in touch with the label and try to know them, their release schedule BEFORE sending music.

What schnitzel said is very much on the tip.
sven laux
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sven laux »

Oh ehm sorry for the double post. Don't know what went wrong... :)
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

pheek wrote:New rule for demo sending in 2009: get in touch with the label and try to know them, their release schedule BEFORE sending music.
yeah, that must all just get too much.
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

pheek how do you recomend going about this. If i send them an email do I still show them what music I make threw a link? I'm guessing it gets anoying as a label owner when people send you demos with a template letter. Does writing a more personal one that shows that you listend to there music count more as getting to know the label?