Prophet 08

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:glad it's working out.

it's funny how opinions about synths can vary so much.
i think its down to what you are going to do with them.
if you want extreme, unusual or sci-fi noises you are much better off with soft or VA synth, if you want deep warm timbres you are better off with an analogue.

but there are so many things in between that can be served by both.

almost any synth can make percussive sounds reasonably well, but i find my ears suffer with digital synths.

for me its all about the sound quality, and the knob count. if i could just have analogue synths i would, but some VA's give you possibilties that are difficult with analogue unless you've got a massive modular system.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

steevio wrote: i think its down to what you are going to do with them.
if you want extreme, unusual or sci-fi noises you are much better off with soft or VA synth, if you want deep warm timbres you are better off with an analogue.

but there are so many things in between that can be served by both.

almost any synth can make percussive sounds reasonably well, but i find my ears suffer with digital synths.

for me its all about the sound quality, and the knob count. if i could just have analogue synths i would, but some VA's give you possibilties that are difficult with analogue unless you've got a massive modular system.
I agree that it's a personal thing about what synths work for you and what don't.

Also it's true that there is middle ground covered by both digital and analogue based synths, and it's natural to find where you fit into the more extreme and exclusive ends of the spectrum in the process of learning and experiementing.

It's a shame there aren't more places to play on synths in public like shops or whatever. I was in quite a big music shop recently and the most interesting synth they had was a juno 201. It was quite a depressing and cold experience, but it was fun listening to the salesmen's 'expertise'. (actually that was a bit sad too)
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

::BLM:: wrote:but just got given a virus c so will be trying to learn that over the next few months.

Jammy git. I'm content if I just get a birthday card. Mind you, I am a miserable bastard. :lol:
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

steevio wrote:
STML wrote:A lot of the people who dismiss the P08 on various sites probably never gave it much time. I think it's an awesome synth, very capable of classic analog type stuff (and I say this comparing it with my MKS-80), but also a step beyond once you get into the fantastic mod matrix and other mod options. It can sound nice and thick with enough attention on the patch. The great thing about it is that I've never had a problem getting it to sound good in a mix.
yeah ive only had it for a few days, and you're dead right, it sits there in its own space in the mix, exactly what i was looking for.
the mod matrix is awesome, and with the sequencer modulation, you cant go wrong.
anyone who dismisses this synth probably doesnt really know how to program one, or like you say hasnt give it enough time, how could you try the almost infinite mod possibilities in a few sessions.

the build quality is excellent, the encoders are solid, the architecture is near perfect, the layout is easy to follow, i knew my way round it in an hour, it usually takes me weeks to get used to a synth.

highly recommended !

(as usual the presets are sht though, theyve all gone now on mine)
Lovely. I love all the DSI stuff I think its amazing. Evolver, Prophet, Mopho... they all rule. Glad yer getting on well with the P08, Steevio.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
colinz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by colinz »

got a mopho, but would love to upgrade to polyphony! does anyone sell p8 cheap in here? :o

since i dont have the 2k, i think ill buy a couple (3) of mophos to get more voices before selling them for the p8.

just one other newb question here, can it replace my midi-master keyboard?
STML
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by STML »

Angel_Colinz wrote: just one other newb question here, can it replace my midi-master keyboard?
If you get the p08 keyboard, then yes, you could use it as a master kb.
nrjizer
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nrjizer »

Steevio, have you got any samples of your prophet in action? I'm interested to hear how it sounds in techno.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Check out Omar S for examples.