How to make this kick....

- ask away
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

How to make this kick....

Post by Raddler »

For me, it's the perfect kick.....so minimal imo !! and i'd love some advice on how it's made. It's that sucking sound it makes, the slight click noise when it first hits, and the "thump" it has. I'm sure compression has alot to do with that. Anyways I don't know how else to describe it, but maybe a point in the right direction could help me out. I'm thinking Live's operator could be the right tool. Thanx

Link

http://www.4shared.com/file/116626449/f ... ample.html
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

Thers already a ton of kickdrum threads on here. So go read them and if you'r still not satisfied ask again. I'm guessing if you use all the advise given in other threads you could probably make any kick sound in the world
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

I do agree that my thread was a bit generic after writing it, but It's hard to go read about a specific sound your after, hence why I uploaded a sample. Anyway,s I'll go through some threads and see what I come up with . Thanx
boudo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boudo »

Step one: Get one of these: http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq10 ... tr-808.jpg

Step two: Have fun
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

Yeah, I did think it was an 808 kick, but it's that suction effect I'm after. My 808 sample kicks obviously don't give me that effect. Maybe the actual hardware drum machine can, or proper use of compression.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Raddler wrote:Yeah, I did think it was an 808 kick, but it's that suction effect I'm after. My 808 sample kicks obviously don't give me that effect. Maybe the actual hardware drum machine can, or proper use of compression.
sorry dude, but there are no secrets to this kick. 808 + eq maybe. bring that high end up and you'll hear that lick more. also experiment multiband compression with an 808 kick. you'll be able to tweak the transients of when the high mid and low come in allowing you to design this "suction"
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Van Hagen
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Van Hagen »

Raddler wrote:Yeah, I did think it was an 808 kick, but it's that suction effect I'm after. My 808 sample kicks obviously don't give me that effect. Maybe the actual hardware drum machine can, or proper use of compression.
without added EQing, dynamics and proper mixing the original 808 doesn't sound any cooler than just the samples despite the fact that you can alter the amount of that clicky attack and the booooming release phase on the kick for example...
Dopplereffekt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dopplereffekt »

Use your sample. :P