female producers and their view on music

- ask away
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: female producers and their view on music

Post by Hades »

Opuswerk wrote:
Hades wrote: I would never dare to say that about music, not at all, but I do wonder if the harder kinds of electronical music aren't more reserved for men than women.
I mean, stuff like Surgeon or Ancient Methods, are there female producers out there that make this kind of raw techno ?
If there are, I'd love to hear their work.
Mary Velo, who had a quite excellent release on Psytox's and Edward Molton's Coincidence label. I'd recommend checking her out: http://soundcloud.com/maryvelo
thank you for that ! :o
always great to discover great female producers.
but I've just been listening to her tracks, and I wouldn't exactly compare her to the harder work of people like Surgeon, Ancient Methods, British Murder Boys,....
She reminds me more of some Italian deep techno producers like Sabatini or Dozzy,
and maybe not Italian, but a fantastic female producer : Cio D'Or !!
First time I heard "Goldbrokat", I had goosebumps all over...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrL0QfD9Tk4
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

oblioblioblio wrote:in a nutshell, the world is governed by the penis. that's why.

i always thought that gender issues had been solved, but we're a long ways off yet. gender equality is still a big problem in the West, and other places are even worse.

lots of the women who are talented enough to make music might be not feel they're good enough, they might have been put off by being constantly sexualised everytime they set foot behind the DJ booth, they might have been put off people saying 'you're talented, for a girl'.

there are places in subcultures where people are treated equally, but these places are not too common.

about technicality, I think there was a study done which showed that women's technical skills increased in all female environments, where they didn't feel like they were being judged, or had to give up their power to a man who society has told them knows more than they do.
ok, you've defenitely got a very solid point there, but this also kind of says "that's why you don't see more female producers performing in a club", because on to the road to finding gigs or releasing stuff, they'd constantly hear "you're talented, for a girl" (which I'm sure they do hear often, and if they don't, they might get looks that say exactly the same thing)
but what about just simple bedroom producers, that aren't released anywhere (and maybe don't even care about releasing at all cause they just do this out of love for electronical music) ?
why don't we see those often either ?

ow, and opuswerk, I forgot the lovely Dasha Rush above :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbjRVdKEfc4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxNMCx-V ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KPMtxKQ ... re=related
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

It's kinda weird that there are so few female techno producers. Techno is so faceless, nobody cares what the producer looks like, only the quality of the output matters. Especially these days when all you need is a laptop to produce, in theory there should be tons of female producers cos it's so easy to start doing it on your own. I've never personally met a girl who's interested in the production side of music, even other music than techno. Very few girls are into record collecting too, which is equally weird as it's not like a record shop owner would refuse to sell a record to girl, an online store even less so.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

Barfunkel wrote:Very few girls are into record collecting too, which is equally weird as it's not like a record shop owner would refuse to sell a record to girl, an online store even less so.
That's true as well, but you can say that about a lot of collectors in general, no matter what they collect.
It's usually men who are more the collector types. (if we exclude clothing and shoes of course)
Why is that ?
Maybe it's all because men often have this childish need to compare themselves with other men, and brag to each other.
And then they can go like : my collection is bigger than yours, or whatever... :lol:
Storlon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Storlon »

Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

Not to generalize or stereotype... but generally and stereotypically I think women are more inclined to have social lives, and are less inclined to seek out the hermetic lifestyle which seems to typify that of techno producers.
Last edited by Shepherd_of_Anu on Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pigeon Provider
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Pigeon Provider »

There is actually a special audio school for women only,

Even more on topic, I think it has something to do with the fact women find it hard to pee in an upward direction, this can become a problem when you join a male majority music production board. The " I can piss higher than you " type debates about signal processing equipment would be over before they even started, and the rest of the male board population would be a bunch of soppy sad sexless dicks who just hang on there every fading breath.

If i met A female producer, I would tell her, I would tell her to get back too the kitchen and bang some pans while I press record.

:lol:

EDIT: I am using sense of humor throughout the post for small minded knobbers :D
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

Barfunkel wrote:It's kinda weird that there are so few female techno producers. Techno is so faceless, nobody cares what the producer looks like, only the quality of the output matters. Especially these days when all you need is a laptop to produce, in theory there should be tons of female producers cos it's so easy to start doing it on your own. I've never personally met a girl who's interested in the production side of music, even other music than techno. Very few girls are into record collecting too, which is equally weird as it's not like a record shop owner would refuse to sell a record to girl, an online store even less so.
I think you've answered your own question there ;)

Females are generally less inclined to get into geeky hobbies like DJing and producing. I don't think there's armies of female DJs out there struggling to get gigs because it's a male dominated profession, I think there's simply fewer of them who're interested. The ratio of your well known Cassies, Steffis, Dashas, etc to big male DJs seems about right for the hobby/profession.

My day job is in engineering, which is one of these occupations where a big fuss is made about the high male-to-female stats, but how many females do you know who actually take an interest in engineering? I know a few women in the industry and their career so far (bear in mind I'm talking those who've started recently, things may well have been different "back in the day") hasn't been some epic struggle against the odds to be recognised despite their gender, nor did they get an easy ride in the name of equality. Apart from a bit of potentially annoying but harmless office banter their sex hasn't changed anything.

I'm veering off the original topic a little bit but the original topic was a bit of a dead end anyway. Although generally I think in this day there's a bit too much political correctness in as far as saying something like what I just said, about a higher proportion of men being interested in a hobby/profession such as electronic music, might be considered sexist because I've dared to suggest that many most men and most women aren't exactly the same apart from having some different body parts...