female producers and their view on music

- ask away
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Re: female producers and their view on music

Post by Themis »

its only sexist if you believe women cant DJ simply because they are women, or cause they are born that way.
its all society. a women simply does not aim for becoming a DJ in her life, cause its not something that is rewarded from society. and they give this conduct along to their children. its a circle which is really hard to break.

its the same reason why there are not more male hairdresser than female. its a female profession and why is that? certainly not because men are not born to dress someones hair.
JPV
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JPV »

First post here.

For those who might be interested, this is my two cents:

A few years ago, in the psy-trance scene, there was this german female producer called Psynina.

She produced a lot of tracks and released a couple of albums. All of them sounded top-notch and sold like candy.

In the reviews of her albums you would read such things as "Psynina brings a distinct feminine sensibility to the tunes", "Psynina shows that women have a different approach to composition, it's brilliant, fresh, etc, etc."

So, needless to say: she was sort of a hero in the psy-trance scene.

The problem is: years later, it was found out that there was no Psynina.

Or better yet, it was found out that Psynina was in fact Thomas, a male producer from the prog-trance project Sunstryk.

So... "distinct feminine sensibility", right?

The point is: there are differences in male and female producers like there are differences from Male Producer A to Male Producer B.

We are all individuals.

Granted, our gender has an enormous impact on who we are and indeed WILL have an influence in the production itself.

The point is, knowing that you are listening to a female producer will influence the way you listen to the track. Many female producers KNOW that.

It's sad, somehow is like women have to prove themselves twice. So instead they decide to use gender-neutral names so people don't get stuck on the fact that they're women.

I bet there are lots of tunes you thought were made by men, were in fact made by women. They just don't have cheesy names like Bubblegum Butterfly Princess or, case in hand, Psynina.

forum.isratrance.com/has-anyone-ever-seen-psynina/ -urk
loopdon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by loopdon »

tone-def wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:i played at a party at the weekend where the two residents were female.

i know tons of girls that are into making music or djing.

If you havent booked a female, surely thats got to do with you rather then the lack of?
we're got nothing against female DJ's. we always make a shortlist of DJ's we want to play every time we do a party. we have had women on the shortlist but they never seem to be the best value or they are not available.

we got a quote for a female DJ who had only been around a couple of years and had 2 releases. she wanted £800. our other option was a male who was equally talented with arguably a bigger profile for only £450.
//Drunk Post//
No lie, i'd take it up with both the female and the male actors in this piece.
No, unfortunately i have no proof, no re ''records'' at beatport , no nothing.
800 quid! For that money I'd make people believe they'd seen god.
But i have no tits...And only old-fashioned vinyl and i might even look at the crowd and stir them into a frenzy.
Would that ruin my chances? Try me,if you dare.
Is vinyl ok?
//Drunk post off//

Edit: Man, i must have been more than drunk, posting that turdish reply. Sorry.
Last edited by loopdon on Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
loopdon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by loopdon »

I havee seen Monika Kruse in Action and Ellen Allien (she can be so sexy, no diddy) etc.

Is it really about the music or about tits? Is it really about the music or about tits?

I am absolutely sure there's female producers/djanes that would whip my ask, no question.
But where are they? A lot of no-name male djs i have whitnessed have in my presence and in my opinion whipped the asses of both male and female 'Superstars', no question. Väth, anyone?
I welcome what he does for our scene but that's about it.
Now rip me to shredds. (-)

Edit: Man, i must have been more than drunk, posting that turdish reply. Sorry.
optX
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by optX »

I had to do a seminar paper about gender-bias in music performance. As part of collecting infos about that topic I`ve found several scientific papers, one of them was about how we judge a musical performance if we know the performer is female or male.

The results of that paper : We are most of the time judging a male`s performance better than a female`s, even if it`s exactly the same and even female`s are judging males better. But males are judging males often better than females do.

They did some tests, including the following : Releasing a scientific paper two times, the first time with a male author name, second time with a female one. The male one got very good perception, the reader`s said it was very logical, good language, sharp thoughts, very well researched. The female version got comments like "not sure if she`s logical" and so on ...
Or doing the same with a composition. Or another test was doing a musical performance + dancing, first female, then male (or vice-versa, but not at the same time) : Male and female did the exact same performance and dance, singing the same lyrics and doing the same moves. Always male`s performances "won".

At the end of the paper the author is giving a little outlook > Regarding to what he was researching and regarding to the statements he made earlier in the paper he said that this isn`t sexism in most of the cases. There are several attributes we think of when we hear a male or female singer or reading a book from a male or female author. This attributes seem to be more or less equally divided, so males and females are thinking of the same attributes. For instance : Female singer, high voice and carefully singing method > We would think of a woman who should be better protected. If we think somebody should be protected because he or she is so weak then we can`t really imagine this person doing things very well on it`s own. (Just a example, could be different from case to case).

I don`t know the author`s name nor the exact title of the paper at the moment, but it`s been a professor from Sydney/AUS.

There are a lot of scientific papers about that topic, but this one had been the first looking on the perception and how it correlates to the performer`s gender.

Cheers girls and boys! =)
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

well, this seems a logic explanation,
or wait... are you male or female ? :lol:

this might explain why there are less women interested in putting out their music since they know they will be judged more critically since they are female, but it wouldn't explain why not more women are just making electronical music just for the sake of it, no ?
You know, just because they love sound and using synths/samplers/drum computers to make music, no matter if they ever release anything at all.
Somehow, I can't help but thinking most women are for some reason less interested in it than most men are (as I'm sure there are lots of things most men are way less interested in in general than most women).
optX
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by optX »

I am a male =)

It`s just one study on that topic. It`s a pre-study, what means : The author was looking if there is a field for further researches. The results showed him that there is plenty of research-ability so he`s setting up a bigger and international study.
You have to be questioning when reading stuff like that, especially when it`s humanities. They want to describe reality but it`s never a 100% true ;)

Another female producer > Clara Moto

She is from my hometown, but living in Berlin now (oh what a surprise)

Did some awesome livesets back then with her two friends mimu and whatever the third girl was called.

She is signed on infine since some years, doing really nice releases

optX
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by optX »

hades : I don't know why women aren`t doing more electronic music just for the sake of it... would be another interesting topic for researches.

But I have the feeling, when it comes down to earning money, that the bottom line is that women are living in a mostly man-dominated world. Just look at the hip and modern and oh-so-fancy hairdressers or the great gourmet chefs around the globe. You would think "now THAT`s a women`s area" but the truth is that it`s men-dominated. Even in the girliest fields women have to fight for recognition. Even most of the gynaecologists are men, which I think is something strange.

Neverthless there are matriarchal organized cultures. There are even matriarchal organized tribes in middle-west Africa which just don`t have a word for "music" ;) They are doing music as well, but it`s a theory about moving the body and not about how it sounds.