female producers and their view on music

- ask away
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: female producers and their view on music

Post by Hades »

this is always such a funny yet delicate subject, isn't it ?

honestly, I don't think anyone with a proper head on his shoulders doubts the fact that it doesn't matter if a good track is made by a man or a woman,
just as they don't doubt the fact that women would not be able to make the same quality tracks as men.
all of that I consider completely pointless to even discuss. -boom

but what I would like to understand is why the ratio of men/women is so completely out of proportion in electronical music.
I mean, if I would see even 1 woman for each 10 men in the electronical music world, I'd be less interested in the why,
but it's not even a 1 to 10 ratio now, is it ?
that just tickles my curiosity, I can't help it.
And that has nothing to do with the fact that I'd drool all over female producers.
It's just that I'd love to see it more evenly balanced, or at least understand why it's so extremely unbalanced.

I think what the OP was trying to point out as well is whether or not there is a so called "female" touch to their music ?
I'm a big movie-freak, and I always wonder why there are so few female directors.
But I gotta say, with almost 90% of the films that are made by female directors, I can tell.
I've discussed this with a movie critic, and he says the same thing. It's hard to explain exactly why you can tell, it's not like it's always the same things, but in the total package you could just somehow tell.
(and yes, I've seen movies where I didn't know upfront the director was female)
I would never dare to say that about music, not at all, but I do wonder if the harder kinds of electronical music aren't more reserved for men than women.
I mean, stuff like Surgeon or Ancient Methods, are there female producers out there that make this kind of raw techno ?
If there are, I'd love to hear their work.
(And I'm not trying to be sexist, but unfortunately we're all pre-judiced in some way and we'd be naïve to think we're not.)

In any case, it's kind of hilarious how my 3 year old daughter used to say
"but daddy, that's music for boys !!"
if I put on some harder techno record,
but automatically starts shaking her booty when I put on some sexy house tune.
Is this because it's in her genes or because she's already indoctrinated from that early on (even though I live without TV) ?? :lol:
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

i think it has nothing to do with music production in general, if you look at other genres like pop, rock, punk there are plenty of women.

the problem with techno is, that you need a lot of computer knowledge, its very technical, and for the moment its hard to get women in front of very technical jobs. see also jobs like mechanics, engineers ..
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

Hades wrote: I would never dare to say that about music, not at all, but I do wonder if the harder kinds of electronical music aren't more reserved for men than women.
I mean, stuff like Surgeon or Ancient Methods, are there female producers out there that make this kind of raw techno ?
If there are, I'd love to hear their work.
Mary Velo, who had a quite excellent release on Psytox's and Edward Molton's Coincidence label. I'd recommend checking her out: http://soundcloud.com/maryvelo
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

I've been doing a club night for 5 years and do you know how many females we're had play? Zero.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

i played at a party at the weekend where the two residents were female.

i know tons of girls that are into making music or djing.

If you havent booked a female, surely thats got to do with you rather then the lack of?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

in a nutshell, the world is governed by the penis. that's why.

i always thought that gender issues had been solved, but we're a long ways off yet. gender equality is still a big problem in the West, and other places are even worse.

lots of the women who are talented enough to make music might be not feel they're good enough, they might have been put off by being constantly sexualised everytime they set foot behind the DJ booth, they might have been put off people saying 'you're talented, for a girl'.

there are places in subcultures where people are treated equally, but these places are not too common.

about technicality, I think there was a study done which showed that women's technical skills increased in all female environments, where they didn't feel like they were being judged, or had to give up their power to a man who society has told them knows more than they do.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

anyways, I don't want to come across all high horse and moralistic, I'm just as guilty as many other men, although I'm hoping to make positive steps. These gender unequal structures exist everywhere, you can learn them from your parents, or from your friends or workplaces, and you don't always have an opportunity to see them for what they are.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

::BLM:: wrote:i played at a party at the weekend where the two residents were female.

i know tons of girls that are into making music or djing.

If you havent booked a female, surely thats got to do with you rather then the lack of?
we're got nothing against female DJ's. we always make a shortlist of DJ's we want to play every time we do a party. we have had women on the shortlist but they never seem to be the best value or they are not available.

we got a quote for a female DJ who had only been around a couple of years and had 2 releases. she wanted £800. our other option was a male who was equally talented with arguably a bigger profile for only £450.