Biaural Dummy Head Recording

- ask away
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Biaural Dummy Head Recording

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

About 12 years ago my neighbour lent me a Star Trek audio book that had been recorded using a biaurally miced dummy head. It was pretty amazing because voices and sounds really did make you feel like someone was walking behind you or opening a door beside you.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any software that has the abiliity to process audio to give the perception of three dimensional sound.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i heard a recording made on one of those things when I was looking around a university once. It was totally amazing. In the recording a guy was talking, and at one point came up real close and I remember kinda flinching as though a real person was there.

Not sure about getting the effect with software. Also I think you need headphones to listen back properly.

You might be able to have some useful fun with this reverb though. http://www.quikquak.com/Prod_RaySpace.html
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

also worth looking at the thread below called 'books' . there was some nice advice about making use of stereo effects frm intellijel at the bottom of page 1. I think that's probably the main thing to focus on to work in '3d' is elbow grease kinda work with panning and stereo effects.

kinda offtopic but the album 'Black Foliage' by The Olivia Tremor Control (they're amazing, a really novel, beautiful and psychadelic take on 60s kinda pop like the Beatles, rubbish description though, sorry). well anyways they have some of the most amazing '3d' kinda sounds I have heard.
mazee
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mazee »

Logic has a binaural setting, and it's pretty good, you can really get the sense of "3d". However, it only works with headphones, that's the nature of binaural recording because it needs your ears to have completely seperate channels. If you're listening through speakers, obviously your left ear hears some of the right speaker and the effect won't work.
DirkD
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by DirkD »

helt
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Wave Arts

Post by helt »

Wave Arts Panorama can give you some of that "3D" feel
habitueE
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by habitueE »

Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

That Ray Space reverb is pretty cool. I am hoping that one day they will come out with a similar program that will not only allow you to create the rooms in which sounds reverberate but also allow you to create point of origins for the sound.

There is a company who is currently developing a plug in kind of like this but its not coming out until later this year. I listened to the demo and all these sounds were swirling around me head and then some guy started crumpling paper next to me ear and I almost jumped out of my seat! It was pretty impressive.