Who here said...

- ask away
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Who here said...

Post by ::BLM:: »

That they were thinking about doing parties linked with other parties around the globe via a big screen or something like that?!

I have been searching for that thread for about an hour as I'm writing a report on future trends in regards to festivals, so if it was you please speak up.

Also if anyone is pushing things forward using technology could you
also speak up.
superk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by superk »

richie said that in an article a while back. Was it in Wired maybe?
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

steevio said he tried it i believe... pm him
Audio Dependent
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Audio Dependent »

Future Sound of London have been doing that - except they just play at home with a video link to the party....

they did it at Bloc and it was a bit weird if you ask me. didn't help that their set was rubbish....
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

it was me,
we've been talking about it for the last 5 years, but decided that we needed to develope an event which was a suitable platform, hence Freerotation.

we are hoping to make it happen at next years event, so we are looking at who might be interested in linking up.

the idea is we have a real room and a virtual room at both events (of course it doesnt have to be limited to 2 events) so effectively you can walk into another room and be in a club on the other side of the world.
of course there are logistical problems, but also one thing we arent sure about is how to make the virtual room feel like a realroom without having a live DJ standing there.

however i went to see the comedian Bill Bailey in the huge Cardiff Arena, and although he was standing there on stage, i found myself looking more at the giant screen behind him, which is a bit weird, but everyone i was with said the same thing, so even with the man himself standing there, (and having paid a lot of money to see him) it wasnt a problem to
watch the screen.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Audio Dependent wrote:Future Sound of London have been doing that - except they just play at home with a video link to the party....

they did it at Bloc and it was a bit weird if you ask me. didn't help that their set was rubbish....
That sound really lazy. I was more on about what Steevio is talking about.

Steevio do you think it would be possible to ever have one dj say in Wales and another in Japan playing B2B? Is this possible? I mean you could hook it up so it links and everything, but I would imagine there would be some sort of timing issues.

Just being brief any chance you could enlighten me with some of the problems you face when putting on music festivals? I would imagine sound levels are a problem, no? I remember reading that the Glade festival has had to change locations because of the local people complaining about noise polution.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

Have a look at monolake's atlantic waves project.

I think it's defunct now in terms of the goal being to produce a piece of software to facilitate such sessions, but it touches on some of the ideas you are talking about.

As a concept - the idea of hooking up musicians in different countries has existed since the telephone became widespread, interestingly - I have done some recording for a guy who used to do stuff like this, he's a very interesting guy in general, but that is another story.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:
Audio Dependent wrote:Future Sound of London have been doing that - except they just play at home with a video link to the party....

That sound really lazy. I was more on about what Steevio is talking about.

Steevio do you think it would be possible to ever have one dj say in Wales and another in Japan playing B2B? Is this possible? I mean you could hook it up so it links and everything, but I would imagine there would be some sort of timing issues.

Just being brief any chance you could enlighten me with some of the problems you face when putting on music festivals? I would imagine sound levels are a problem, no? I remember reading that the Glade festival has had to change locations because of the local people complaining about noise polution.
there was someone in that thread you are talking about who said that they had done the B2B thing and said that there were timing issues.

i suppose B2B would be interesting, but our idea was just to try to recreate the atmosphere in the mainroom of a party somewhere else in the world and vice versa, so that effectively the two parties are identical musically, and people in both places can sample whats going on in the mainroom of the other party.

on the festival issue, we dont have a problem at freerotation, because the venue is a licensed venue like a club. we have a 25KW rig, and theres no real limit to how loud we can have it
we are running a stage at an outdoor festival in Wales september, and we've had to agree a limit with the local council, which means we can run a 7 KW rig, but probably at half volume to keep within the decibel limit.
we are also facing the sytem away from the nearby town, and in a direction which will affect the least amount of local people, i think theres maybe one farm downwind.
the answer is to liase with the locals, so that theres no chance of complaints, if the farmer downwind is selling sht loads of milk to the punters he's happy, and if his sons are working as stewards...you get the picture.