rme vs motu

- ask away
ganik
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by ganik »

i like apogee better then rme or motu, but apogee is mac only.
multum in parvo
ekwipt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ekwipt »

marcneyen wrote:don't trust the guy at the shop, bought recently a new mac as well and that problem the rme 400 has with the fw chip used on some macs happened to me as well.workaround on the new macbook pro is to get an express card 34 that adds fw 400 to the laptop. for more info read the loooong story on the rme forum.
You can actually throw this in between the fireface and the MBP and it will work fine, it's a problem with the new macs firewire chipset not RME cards.
http://www.lindy.de/ieee1394a-firewire- ... 32908.html

Apple should of stuck with Texas Instruments firewire instead of going with LSI Agere. (there's a new LSI Agere chipset that will be in the newer built laptops but nobodies got one of these yet)

I have an RMEFireface400 with my pc laptop I can get down to 64 samples in Ableton and the thing doesn't burp
fromkaraoketostardom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by fromkaraoketostardom »

actually, so far no problem at all, live, cubase, both in rewire, everything works fine...and sounds great :)
Alex M
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Alex M »

I have an ultralite mkII and it sounds great I think both RME and MOTU are on a similar league.

Don't know much about Apogee tho... Weren't they a video game studio or something many years ago???
I seem to remember seeing the apogee logo in many old skool pc games.
Brankis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Brankis »

sorry if i ask a dumb question here but what would the advantage be of having something like an RME if you are doing all production in the box. is it mostly just valuable for recording external gear or are there other benefits? im also interested in this card as i hear about it constantly
ludamillion
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ludamillion »

Brankis wrote:sorry if i ask a dumb question here but what would the advantage be of having something like an RME if you are doing all production in the box. is it mostly just valuable for recording external gear or are there other benefits? im also interested in this card as i hear about it constantly
If you only use virtual instruments and never record hardware instruments you don't need a full fledged audio interface. I'd would just look for a high quality soundcard.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Brankis wrote:sorry if i ask a dumb question here but what would the advantage be of having something like an RME if you are doing all production in the box. is it mostly just valuable for recording external gear or are there other benefits? im also interested in this card as i hear about it constantly
low latency? solid hardware? those are 2 things that i'm looking for right now. I'm sick of my soundcards and all their glitches.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
pizzamon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by pizzamon »

apogee is top of the line if you can afford it and have the right hardware.