the ableton monopoly

- ask away
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

the ableton monopoly

Post by NoAffiliation »

Does anyone find it odd that no other companies have tried to make copycat products of Ableton Live? The program has been out for years now and there really aren't any other products directly competing for the live performance market.

I think this is odd since this is obviously a profitable business and usually companies are quick to jump on new markets like this. Look at Final Scratch when it came out, within a year there were 4 other turntable emulation systems and even more than that now. Same thing with DAW's, Vsts, plently to choose in that area as well...

Surely any of these audio companies could figure out how to make a program that launches loops on the fly, so why hasn't it happened after all these years? Im interested in people's thoughts
humeka
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by humeka »

you're right...

have you seen the last native instrument soft/hardware solution?

http://www.native-instruments.com/newre ... /maschine/

the interface looks a bit like live, don't you think so? but I don't know if it works the same way...
nathan_fr
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nathan_fr »

Maybe because producing is not yet a mainstream activity instead of DJing.

Otherwise, maybe Ableton Live or Reason are not really professional softwares, like Logic, Protools or Cubase.
datalus
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by datalus »

nathan_fr wrote:Maybe because producing is not yet a mainstream activity instead of DJing.

Otherwise, maybe Ableton Live or Reason are not really professional softwares, like Logic, Protools or Cubase.
I beg to differ, especially with Live 8 Ableton is a pretty solid "pro" DAW.
nathan_fr
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nathan_fr »

datalus wrote:
nathan_fr wrote:Maybe because producing is not yet a mainstream activity instead of DJing.

I beg to differ, especially with Live 8 Ableton is a pretty solid "pro" DAW.
It was just an idea, I don't have any opinion actually :)
datalus
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by datalus »

I know, I was just refuting that as a reason. I actually do not know why Live hasn't been copied.
Dopplereffekt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dopplereffekt »

Sony ACID?
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

there is Digital Performer... not sure if it's actually older than Live