From Left to Right

- ask away
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

the canvas isn't really 2d. with the use of good echos and reverbs and some knowledge of masking (Hass effect?) you can actually get quite a bit of depth in your recordings, you know, aside from the more traditional centred bass and panned hats. like making stuff appear in the foreground and background, by, kind of fooling the mind about where the sources of instruments are, i think its called psychoacoustics.
BigPoe
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by BigPoe »

Wow, that is interesting shizzle and very leftist. I don't think conservatives would tolerate noises fooling the brain :D
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

i think some of the early techno was ultra right wing, almost fascist....
SpacyX
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by SpacyX »

The haas effect is basicly having a sound in the middle of your stereo speakers but as we all know there is no speaker in the middle, it's a virtual one, our brain creates the belief that there is one. You can adjust the placement of this virtual speaker (assuming that both speakers are playing at the same volume when we start adjusting and with no delay, so that the virtual speaker is in the middle and that both are playing the same piece of mono audio) by adjusting the volume of the left speaker upwards this creates the illusion that the virtual speaker has moved a bit to the left (the same happens when you put the volume of the right speaker down). This is all common sense. But you can do the same thing by adding a delay on the right speaker. With a delay of 30 ms on the right speaker you can create the illusion that only the left speaker is playing. (It works great when you test it with headphones). It's also true that the human ear has the belief that the delay trick gives a more accurate perception of what we call stereo. So thats why chorus gives a nice wide effect ;)

And it has no use to put chorus on a bass, it'l just make it sound muddy and unclear. Alot of clubs are still mono so i keep dancefloor track basses pretty mono. That doesn't mean i dont have tracks where the bass is as wide as the fat lady across the street's ass. ;)
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

RE: orginal post.

I think it's true in the most general way possible, discounting of course the many exceptions that I'm sure are knocking around.

It was true also in the 60s from what I can tell. When the nexus of out-front rogue frequencies gradually started spreading their mesage of messagelessness, resonating first of all with neighborly operating frequencies, and diffusing gradually into commercial culture until the whole hippie dippie flower power people thing was suddenly 'cool'.

I guess all you can do is roll with the punches. Do whatever is meaningful to you and maybe keep things low key as much as is possible. And of course try to avoid the whole coffeetablecocaineconsumerism thing in whatever way you can. I've seen that monster eat people I know and it's not funny.

So ultimately I have no real advice or any deep thinkings on the matter but I thought I'd chime in so you don't feel totally alone in thinking this way.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

spacyx, yeah good more in depth stuff there. i think that trick works with anywhere between 10-40m delay.

yes, bit of a bleak opening post, tuesday morning weekend slump and all that. still though, i know everything turns sh!t after a while and all that, but i guess sometimes it hits you more than other times.

but theres always the shard of light peeking out from the abyss, like the snd album that'll be out on raster-noton soon.
dav.id
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dav.id »

oblioblioblio wrote:RE: orginal post.

So ultimately I have no real advice or any deep thinkings on the matter but I thought I'd chime in so you don't feel totally alone in thinking this way.
That's not easy to see this original and creative culture which became mainstream and perhaps lost her powerfull.
If I can be disapointed sometimes, I don't feel sad 'cause I ear the new generation growing up... and I'm sure the wheel continue to roll. :D
tabula rasa
Yatmandu
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Yatmandu »

I dunno, the music sounds as fresh to me today as it did back in '90. Of course, I'm no longer partying like I did in the 90's. So that aspect is different, but as far as legs go, this music definitely has them.