How much swing?

- ask away
aciduss
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

How much swing?

Post by aciduss »

Mostly i find my self applying some 16th swing to drums, 25% - 40% it depends... i wanted to know how much do you swing percs or other elements, also: is it ok to use different % settings on a single track? And if any of you wanna share any other tips for this mater, would be cool too.

Thanks!!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i use different amounts of swing on different elements, and not always symmetrically, ( different amounts of swing on the second and fourth 16th )
sometimes mix in 1/8th swings as well.
i dont use stock swing quantising, i make groove templates, so every track has a completely different groove.
i use less swing on faster tracks.
i use the right amounts of swing that work for the particular track,
prussell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by prussell »

none.
that is to say, in Ableton i always turn swing off by default; once in a great while if an element doesn't sit correctly i'll try it as a fix, but it usually doesn't work for me.
mrgreynoise

Post by mrgreynoise »

steevio wrote:i use different amounts of swing on different elements, and not always symmetrically, ( different amounts of swing on the second and fourth 16th )
i dont use stock swing quantising, i make groove templates, so every track has a completely different groove.
sounds cool, can you point me towards one of your tracks where you do this?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

mrgreynoise wrote:
steevio wrote:i use different amounts of swing on different elements, and not always symmetrically, ( different amounts of swing on the second and fourth 16th )
sounds cool, can you point me towards one of your tracks where you do this?
i do it on all my tracks,
i suppose the easiest way to listen is on myspace;

http://www.myspace.com/steevio
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

prussell wrote:none.
that is to say, in Ableton i always turn swing off by default; once in a great while if an element doesn't sit correctly i'll try it as a fix, but it usually doesn't work for me.
i dont think we're talking about the swing in ableton, i always turn it off by default also.
some sort of swing or shuffle is pretty much fundamental to house and techno. ( i dont mean quantising, i'm just talking about groove. )
when i think of swing, i think of it as something which makes you move your ass, it doesnt just have to be 16ths, it can be swing at any level, at bar level.
Delko
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Delko »

it depends of elements you are talking about . for me make more sense use swing 16 in drums like hit hats give other harmony to music that i think is better . Its relative but i use swing 16 straight and swing 32 sometimes .

its my way :D
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

set your swing/shuffle to 100% and call it a day. :D
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest