Starting out!

- ask away
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Starting out!

Post by wax works »

I just bought logic studio, I have a macbook and im gonna buy a m-audio axiom midi controller.. do I need anything else to start getting into music production?

What's the best way to start learning?
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

read everything, go out to parties loads, listen to good records. that sort of thing.
prussell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by prussell »

definitely read books etc about where the music came from that you are trying to create....ditto with listening to records.
knowing your history will give you a much greater perspective on where it's going, and where you want to take it.
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

I've been dj'ing for a couple years now so i know what sound im after I'm just a bit phased by the size of logic and everything it offers!

should I install all the extra content? jampacks etc?

Thanks

Iain
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

stay on this forum and read the threads :) its usefull! Take your time for making a track. Play with your software and explore it.
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

and post your tracks on the forum "members" for members feedbacks. That will help you a lot
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

I was in the same situation of you 2 months ago. Knowing what i wanted to do but not how to. Im also using Logic, and i find its a great piece of software. Best advices i can give you is to read the manuals and experiment/explore everything.

Also listening to other people tracks carefully on headphones has given me ideas on how to make arrangements and that sorts of things. Only bad thing about this is that know i analyse to much the tracks and dont enjoy them 100%. But crafting your own music and loops is wonderful!!
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

Does logic come with a drum machine/sampler? If not Id recomend getting one such as Battery. Unless you plan on synthesizing all your drum sounds but as a beginer you probably have no clue about that so using a sampler would get you rolling on drum beats.

Also for learning how to use a synth I would recommend downloading synth 1 It is free and very simple and good sounding. I would recomend you spend alot of time with synth one or something similar to learn exactly what all those buttons and knobs do. If you learn that first it will make translating your ideas into a song alot easier.