Beatport cuts round two.

- ask away
G3rard
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by G3rard »

::BLM:: wrote:A good move if you ask me. Far to many labels on that site, hopefully now we wont have to browse 15 pages before I get to a decent release.
+1 the quality control isnt the best on beatport but I have noticed a bit of an improvement since they started making labels go through a distributer and veting labels track record.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

What do people expect tho eh ? They are a corporate buy in on techno/house, diluting it to their own taste.

Personally I wouldn't p1ss on them if they were on fire, but I don't see much point in slating them tho, they are efficiant with what they do and completely above board, If you don't want stung by their corporate w@nkery - then don't deal with them.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

I was thinking more about it and I think maybe they are eventually cutting all but their most prosperous labels just for the reason of pushing them through distributors. They would save hundreds of thousands a year on employee costs is distributors were handling all the labels. Only problem is that double fucks the labels because then you have a middle man and beaqtport both taking a big chunk of your profit.

As for comments on cleaning it up I personaly dont mind going through 500 releases to find a set. I think it is good because I wont be playing the exact same sh!t as the guy next to me. WHos to say a release is crap? If 50 people think it is awesome and buy it then it is worth having on there in my opinion. Just because 1000 people didn't buy it doesn't make it shitty.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

The quality control on Beatport is really poor and its something thats really annoying. You know there are so many digital only labels now that just release digital because there is no risk at all, which means that if they are undecided on a track they cant still take the risk cause they are not going to lose money.

Most of the labels that are in the top 10 or in the charts are those released on vinyl, which I think says a great deal about the digital only labels. Now I know there are some labels pushing quality digital only stuff, but in most cases its just tracks that are not good enough for vinyl. We get a load of demos sent to us at Fear of Flying and I often hear ones we, plus other vinyl labels have turned down on digital only labels!
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

AVX23 wrote:What do people expect tho eh ? They are a corporate buy in on techno/house, diluting it to their own taste.

Personally I wouldn't p1ss on them if they were on fire, but I don't see much point in slating them tho, they are efficiant with what they do and completely above board, If you don't want stung by their corporate w@nkery - then don't deal with them.
+1

it's a bit sad that they're so popular. I can understand in the 60s/70s the need for corperate assistance... you needed big money for record studios/physical distributions, and to spread word of sounds. But in the age where as musicians we're basically going it alone with all the tools in our own hands, I don't see why it's necessary for them to be so popular.

I can imagine they can pay a large amount their running costs from advertising revenue alone. I certainly can't imagine them being poor, put it like that.

I saw Kompakt-mp3 had been taken down referring people to beatport which made me sad, but I guess it's in their interests somehow cos they're not stupid people there.

beatport seems to be operating through some weird monopoly from laziness. it's true they're good and efficient at what they do, but I find that business sense doesn't mix well with weird people doing their own thing cos they want to.

I'm just helping to start a small digital label and we're gonna try out using only paypal for purchasing. as a small label with different music it makes no sense for us to be using beatport. paypal take 20p & 3% approx per transaction, which is far far less than beatport plus another middle man.

spreading our sounds won't be easy, but doing weird musics being on beatport wouldn't help us anyway. we're gonna try the archipel style free 192 mp3 on a netlabel tip and but to have to pay for 320s/wavs. This seems to be like a nice combination of getting music into peoples ears for free, spreading word of what we're doing with a little try before you buy friendliness, but to be able to get a little cash for our efforts if people are wanting high quality.

I guess for bigger labels it makes business sense to go through beatport, but from my point of view, they can go fck themselves.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I dont understand peoples agressive attitude towards Beatport. Yes they take a big % but the traffic they supply is more then worth it. I guess were one of the lucky labels as they have always looked after us.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

::BLM:: wrote:I dont understand peoples agressive attitude towards Beatport. Yes they take a big % but the traffic they supply is more then worth it. I guess were one of the lucky labels as they have always looked after us.
my reasons are nothing personal really. but from the angle that I am aiming they would offer me nothing.

no way to support this weird music that I believe in. they would just be doing administration work and being able to process credit cards. 40% or whatever is not a reasonable amount of money for this service.

like I say it's different for different people. For many labels it's probably a worthwhile investment, but for what I'm hoping to set up I have no reason to ever do business with them.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

sorgenkind wrote: They clearly are a cash machine rather that a bunch of music lovers with a bit of a fascist attitude but it seems like they are the biggest in the businness so they somehow *can* do what they want. I'm sure they are relying on a very large base of "charts-only buyers", who don't bother too much digging deep in the releases and/or labels but they just scratch the surface, buying only what beatport or other people already selected for them. The entire website layout is so pushing top tens and dj charts that it seems there is very little interest from beatport to give exposure to stuff which is a bit more underground.
+1 on this too.