Beatport cuts round two.

- ask away
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Beatport cuts round two.

Post by victorgonzales »

So Im not positive the actual number but Beatport cut LOTS of labels on the first of January. I heard the number was around one thousand.

Mine didn't get cut thankfully but I know a couple that did so far.

supposedly the cuts were focused first on quality (without a clear definition of what that means) and second sales.

Anyone know of some labels that got cut? What do oyou think about this?
niminal
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by niminal »

I thought Beatport requires you to make $300 + dollers a quarter or you get cut right ????
...House music is the Essence...
..Breaks are the Backbone..
..Minimal is a Must..

http://kamikazesafety-tainment.blogspot.com/
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

niminal wrote:I thought Beatport requires you to make $300 + dollers a quarter or you get cut right ????
Well one label I know made between 1200-1500 a quarter last year and they got the hatchet. They didn't even release that many tracks either so it wasn't release overload. They were told by their manager that they didn't feel the label was "relevant to their respective genre" Whatever the fck that means. The label manager wouldn't be more specific about it either. Just a big fck you and see ya later.

They had only one more release in 2008 than I had and my sales where only around 300 per quarter. I know their sales are lower than the previous year but youd think that they would have enough to stay on there at least.

Just seems like they may be deciding things based on what is popular sound and trying to define what type of music is good As all the releases on that label where quality tracks, just not stuff youd hear on the top ten often.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

I remember seeing, also on this forum, tons of people complaining that there are too many labels on Beatport.
kruko
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kruko »

shitheads should have never allow labels they don't find "relevant to their respective genre" to be sold via their site in the first place. but no, money comes first. what a bunch of morons.
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

victorgonzales wrote: Just seems like they may be deciding things based on what is popular sound and trying to define what type of music is good As all the releases on that label where quality tracks, just not stuff youd hear on the top ten often.

They clearly are a cash machine rather that a bunch of music lovers with a bit of a fascist attitude but it seems like they are the biggest in the businness so they somehow *can* do what they want. I'm sure they are relying on a very large base of "charts-only buyers", who don't bother too much digging deep in the releases and/or labels but they just scratch the surface, buying only what beatport or other people already selected for them. The entire website layout is so pushing top tens and dj charts that it seems there is very little interest from beatport to give exposure to stuff which is a bit more underground.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

victorgonzales wrote:Just seems like they may be deciding things based on what is popular sound and trying to define what type of music is good As all the releases on that label where quality tracks, just not stuff youd hear on the top ten often.
fck them. no, srsly.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

A good move if you ask me. Far to many labels on that site, hopefully now we wont have to browse 15 pages before I get to a decent release.