looping a chunk of a sample on the fly

- ask away
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

looping a chunk of a sample on the fly

Post by stevësto »

I'm trying to figure out how to do this in ableton live:

while an audio clip is playing, i want to select a start and end point of the audio clip. i want to take that chunk and drop it into simpler. then, i can jam out on my keyboard using that chunk ... WHILE the original audio clip is still playing.

is this possible?
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

well i am NOT sitting infront of ableton right now, but off the top of my head you could copy the clip thats playing, paste below the one thats playing, reorganize the start/stop, then drop that newly formed clip into simpler and play it...

i dont think I fully understand what you are asking as the process to solve it seems quite simple.
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

im probably asking the question wrong. all i want to do is take a snapshot of an audio clip while its playing. i can then take that snapshot and play it like an instrument, loop it, apply efx, all while the original clip is still playing.

right now, when i am playing an audio clip, i can click where to start a loop and where to end that loop and the track will loop that section forever. it would be nice if it would play that loop to a separate channel while the original clip continues to play.
prussell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by prussell »

just duplicate the clip into another track, or duplicate the entire track if there are fx or processing you need carried over.
alternatively you could 'Slice To MIDI' to open up further editing options.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

just tried this in live 7. its possible... just make a duplicate of your loop while the original is playing. double click that... set your loop point... then drag that over to your empty simpler. bam.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
stevësto
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by stevësto »

i dont understand how this is possible. i need to have 2 identical audio clips playing at the same time? how do i make the looped version sync back up to the spot where the original is playing?

look, its easy for me to take sections out of a track beforehand. i want to do it ON THE FLY. NOT BEFOREHAND. not premeditated. realtime.
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

you can still copy stuff while you're playing right?
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

Im not on my comp but;

Record into another channel, stop the recorded clip, then it will sync it to the bar / beat etc.

Voila (i think?)