dave smith mopho

- ask away
User avatar
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr
Posts: 415
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:05 am

Post by Android » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:55 pm

victorjohn wrote:fwiw, the DSI stuff is all ultra classic. You simply cannot go wrong with any of it... and as far as the filter being controlled in steps of semi-tones well, I don't know if thats hindered just about any sound from coming out of my evolver.

The damn thing is priceless IMO, and I am getting a mopho this week as well.

Cant say enough good about DSI.
totally agree!!

DSI is great, I have a Mono Evolver Keyboard,
and it is so expressive, esp when using aftertouch

He Invented Midi, along with running Sequential Circuits

I'm definitely considering a Mopho or Evolover Rack Expansion soon!

those Prophet 8's are really awesome too!

oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 2556
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:38 am
Contact:

Post by oblioblioblio » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:49 am

victorjohn wrote:fwiw, the DSI stuff is all ultra classic. You simply cannot go wrong with any of it... and as far as the filter being controlled in steps of semi-tones well, I don't know if thats hindered just about any sound from coming out of my evolver.

The damn thing is priceless IMO, and I am getting a mopho this week as well.

Cant say enough good about DSI.
to each his own.

I think all the analogue I want for my set up ever, other than my digital stuff (and maybe a few random bits and pieces), is one very high quality performance synth.

The DSI stuff seems to be very very high quality and made with love and attention to detail, the sound demos are very promising and there are many big fans on various forums. the stepped filter isn't a big deal really, but it kinda bugs me. I work with alternate tunings and it just doesn't seem right to have the filter hard wired to a scale that would be off key from whatever I was playing. BUt obviously this doesn't affect everyone.

So yeah, I'm gonna look into it more, but waiting for a while until I can afford a voyager seems right for me.

nakoradiomies
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr
Posts: 275
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:26 pm

Post by nakoradiomies » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:51 am

oblioblioblio wrote:so. the mc-202 won't do glide using a midi-to cv box, and analogue glide is a thing of beauty.
amm..you are wrong about this..if you can have kenton pro solo + mc202 its possible to do with midimessage #65 portamento (on/off)

but if you are just doing your little tracks at home, and not doing any live performance stuff and want to save some cash and time there is pretty cool way put some riffs in to 202

check this http://www.defectiverecords.com/202hack/index.html

i have used lot of analog stuff and for monosynth, i would go for vco stuff.. sounds much more richer for basslines than dco. or i think so.

oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 2556
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:38 am
Contact:

Post by oblioblioblio » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:11 pm

nakoradiomies wrote: amm..you are wrong about this..if you can have kenton pro solo + mc202 its possible to do with midimessage #65 portamento (on/off)

but if you are just doing your little tracks at home, and not doing any live performance stuff and want to save some cash and time there is pretty cool way put some riffs in to 202

check this http://www.defectiverecords.com/202hack/index.html

i have used lot of analog stuff and for monosynth, i would go for vco stuff.. sounds much more richer for basslines than dco. or i think so.
aha you're right. I'd imagine the quality of the glide on those mdi/cv boxes is decent right? the chracter of glides that I hear from analogue synths always surpirises me of their cheeky squeekiness.

also, do you reckon the glide would work when using pitch bended notes? I use a piece of software to use different tuning systems and it works by outputting midi notes with a bend value to trnaspose them slightly.

sorry for technical quesitoning, and thanks for your help. I'm leaning towards getting a 202... plenty of character and nice desktop size.

datalus
mnml newbie
mnml newbie
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 7:18 pm
Contact:

Post by datalus » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:25 pm

oblioblioblio wrote:
nakoradiomies wrote: amm..you are wrong about this..if you can have kenton pro solo + mc202 its possible to do with midimessage #65 portamento (on/off)

but if you are just doing your little tracks at home, and not doing any live performance stuff and want to save some cash and time there is pretty cool way put some riffs in to 202

check this http://www.defectiverecords.com/202hack/index.html

i have used lot of analog stuff and for monosynth, i would go for vco stuff.. sounds much more richer for basslines than dco. or i think so.
aha you're right. I'd imagine the quality of the glide on those mdi/cv boxes is decent right? the chracter of glides that I hear from analogue synths always surpirises me of their cheeky squeekiness.

also, do you reckon the glide would work when using pitch bended notes? I use a piece of software to use different tuning systems and it works by outputting midi notes with a bend value to trnaspose them slightly.

sorry for technical quesitoning, and thanks for your help. I'm leaning towards getting a 202... plenty of character and nice desktop size.
just out of curiosity, what is that piece of software that does tuning systems? custom written? commercial? freeware? :)

oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 2556
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:38 am
Contact:

Post by oblioblioblio » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:32 pm

it's commercial but it's damn good (though mac only).

filled to the brim with attention to detail... the creator is an absolute legend. Any function that you could possibly think of is taken care of. Deep library of scales, you can retune anything... software hardware, and you can rceate your own scales in very interesting ways.

www.nonoctave.com

colinz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:40 pm

Post by colinz » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:04 pm

didnt want to open a new one because i think that this is the official "mopho thread"? im not into sound architecture & design, thats why im looking for additional presets, is there any good source?

jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:38 am
Location: windblown
Contact:

Post by jessejames » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:48 pm

There are over 360+ presets already on the thing! That's not enough?

Post Reply