Drums in deep house

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i didnt say harmonics were chords, i said combinations of harmonics were chords.
when i had my andromeda, i tuned the 32 sinewave oscillators to harmonics of the first oscillator, put them in note related pairs thru my mixer, and ran various sequences. i made a load of tunes which were chord sequences all based on the harmonic sequence of a one sawtooth wave.
i could change the timbre by riding the faders on the mixer.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

steevio wrote:i didnt say harmonics were chords, i said combinations of harmonics were chords.
when i had my andromeda, i tuned the 32 sinewave oscillators to harmonics of the first oscillator, put them in note related pairs thru my mixer, and ran various sequences. i made a load of tunes which were chord sequences all based on the harmonic sequence of a one sawtooth wave.
i could change the timbre by riding the faders on the mixer.
That sounds real deep . I should probably get more into harmonics and come back once I fully understand what I am talking about. :lol: I don't know much about this side of theory to be fair and you can imagine me banging away at middle C thinking, what's he talking about?

So a saw is multiple sines?

I'm gonna start another thread related to harmonics as it seems a little OT here, thanks for the input though and for the education. I find it fascinating, if a little questionable in regard to actually hearing those harmonics ( currently ) :)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote: So a saw is multiple sines?
all sounds are multiple sines mate.

http://www.mindspring.com/~scottr/zmusic/
plastik
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by plastik »

I'm still wondering how radio slave can come up with those kick drums.... :shock:
(listen to his tune "neverending" or the more familiar "grindhouse tool" and you'll see what I mean)
bye.
someonelikeyou
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by someonelikeyou »

Sample packs are for loosers. With even a shitty lap top you can create ANY sound. So why use samples? Lazy boys...... I don't understand the point that house and techno were built using samples? I remember hardware everywhere!!! Maybe I was tripping!!! I don't really think there is much of an argument about software synths and hardware synths anymore. Especially with analogue modeling processors as accurate as they are today. (try IK Multimedia's emulation of the Paltec EQ1a and tell me that does'nt sound the bollocks!!!) DSP can emulate ANY sound. Just takes work. Someonelikeyou.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

someonelikeyou wrote:Sample packs are for loosers. With even a shitty lap top you can create ANY sound. So why use samples? Lazy boys...... I don't understand the point that house and techno were built using samples? I remember hardware everywhere!!! Maybe I was tripping!!! I don't really think there is much of an argument about software synths and hardware synths anymore. Especially with analogue modeling processors as accurate as they are today. (try IK Multimedia's emulation of the Paltec EQ1a and tell me that does'nt sound the bollocks!!!) DSP can emulate ANY sound. Just takes work. Someonelikeyou.
thats probably a bit hardline.

i hate sample cds as much as the next man, but it does take time to be able to synthesis your own percussion to a good level.

sampling has been popular as a technique in both house and techno, samplers being alongside some of the hardware your reminising about.

but yeah, its a bit lazy to not go out and cut your own samples or make your own, but i wouldnt say sampling can't be an effective method of expression.

i personally would be embarressed to use a loop off a sample cd though.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

someonelikeyou wrote:Sample packs are for loosers. With even a shitty lap top you can create ANY sound. So why use samples? Lazy boys...... I don't understand the point that house and techno were built using samples? I remember hardware everywhere!!! Maybe I was tripping!!! I don't really think there is much of an argument about software synths and hardware synths anymore. Especially with analogue modeling processors as accurate as they are today. (try IK Multimedia's emulation of the Paltec EQ1a and tell me that does'nt sound the bollocks!!!) DSP can emulate ANY sound. Just takes work. Someonelikeyou.
Please could you synthsize me a really nice shaker. Something that sounds organic and not like white noise.

Thanks
someonelikeyou
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by someonelikeyou »

::BLM:: wrote:
Please could you synthsize me a really nice shaker. Something that sounds organic and not like white noise.

Thanks

Lazy Boy!!!!