Underrated and forgotten gear.......

- ask away
nospin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nospin »

casio cz-101... i got mine for free from an older guy at school that just wanted to get rid of it and wasnt sure if i'd even find it useful or not. i didnt know anything about it, but it looked surprisingly programmable, so i took it. i love that little thing
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Never used a cz-101 but I know it uses Phase-Distortion which is a really cool method of synthesis... really creamy brassy sounds.

If any digital based people are looking for a reverb like the one steevio mentioned check out Rayspace at www.quikquak.com

you can simulate having the sounds come from behind you, as well as designing the actual room shape and size. Really nice sounding too. not bad at all for £50
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

nospin wrote:casio cz-101... i got mine for free from an older guy at school that just wanted to get rid of it and wasnt sure if i'd even find it useful or not. i didnt know anything about it, but it looked surprisingly programmable, so i took it. i love that little thing

It's got that Organ sound - that sounds more like an 'ahhh' sound with bass. That was the classic signature synth of that little thing. Rave.

I had that machine too. :)
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

Of course, this is my favorite low-priced machine. Like AK said, the pitch is good and it is very expressive. :) I also agree about the 808/909 kicks. They are distorted, but good if you like that ringing sound behind your bass drum.
8)
The Roland R-5, R-8 can be found for about the same price. They have similar drum sounds with good pitch.
The Alesis SR-16 is new for $150USD. Sometimes, it's on sale for $99. :D
A friend of mine uses a Yamaha QY-100 to make whole songs. It's about $200USD used.
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

My friend that uses a lot hardware always says that his R-8 is always an realiable source for making stuff and i agree, when i have worked on some stuff with him it always work very nice!
Sphere42
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Sphere42 »

can you guys recommend some pattern step sequencer with midi out? I'm looking for something like FL studio step sequencer thingy, cos it's quick and very fun to use. I'm considering getting something old or build my own sequencer from ucapps.de, they look very intresting and i was always into some DIY stuff, but on the other hand i'm afraid of way too much troubleshooting.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

nospin wrote:casio cz-101... i got mine for free from an older guy at school that just wanted to get rid of it and wasnt sure if i'd even find it useful or not. i didnt know anything about it, but it looked surprisingly programmable, so i took it. i love that little thing
i got given a cz101 and a korg MR16 by an old goth a few years back, the cz101 is really nice, but the MR16 is an absolute minger. it has to be the worst drum machine ever made. the sounds are samples, and they are not even trimmed properly, theres clicks at the start of the sounds and the decays end abruptly.
then the local vicar give me a CZ3000, but i cant get it to work.
bless him.
signal:Noise
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by signal:Noise »

Sphere42 wrote:can you guys recommend some pattern step sequencer with midi out? I'm looking for something like FL studio step sequencer thingy, cos it's quick and very fun to use. I'm considering getting something old or build my own sequencer from ucapps.de, they look very intresting and i was always into some DIY stuff, but on the other hand i'm afraid of way too much troubleshooting.
You can use just about any drum machine as a basic sequencer, but the yamaha RX 5 is particularly good