16/44 or 24/96

- ask away
harvey
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

16/44 or 24/96

Post by harvey »

Seeing as i only use VST's and bounce down to a stereo .wav, is there any real reason to have my system set up to say 24 / 96 if it's all inside the digital domain?
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

harvey
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by harvey »

mmmmmm..

Mixed views there!

When using dither do you just export your audio as 44/16? i.e is that the way to dither correctly? hahah
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

Hi Harvey. I would use the 24/96 option. There IS a noticeable difference between 16bit and 24bit.

Also, recording your bounces rather than just bouncing within the digital domain will give you much better quality.
harvey
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by harvey »

clubfoot wrote:Hi Harvey. I would use the 24/96 option. There IS a noticeable difference between 16bit and 24bit.

Also, recording your bounces rather than just bouncing within the digital domain will give you much better quality.
]

recording the bounces? You've lost me there mate?
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

recording the mixdow to a track instead of using "render"
harvey
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by harvey »

4am wrote:recording the mixdow to a track instead of using "render"
your gonna have to bear with me here. so i send the main out to the input and record another stereo track within my DAW? Then export the audio file?
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

harvey wrote:
4am wrote:recording the mixdow to a track instead of using "render"
your gonna have to bear with me here. so i send the main out to the input and record another stereo track within my DAW? Then export the audio file?
yeah that's pretty much it. record your main out on another stereo track and you'll have a wav.

the sounds will work better together being recorded in, rather than being digitally calculated (rendered). also an extra tip; if you can simply run your main outs through an analog mixer and back into your DAW you might find it improves the sound - you'll need a stereo input on your soundcard of course.