University/collage while making music

- ask away
Artificial
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Artificial »

yacek wrote: ur an idiot... it's either music or nothing... maybe you guys don't really know much about producing, but it's a full time job and either you're dedicated or you're not.
what kind of an answer is that ? and he's the idiot ?....
is that the responsable thing u wanna tell people : if u want to make music, dont do anything else and hope ull get a breakthrough, in a bussiness you need to be very lucky..
juanm2t
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by juanm2t »

i earn 99.9% of money working as a drawer, maps, blue prints...engineer drawing....i work, i study (mechanic engineering)...and when the free time comes i try to produce...you can do all three things if you really know how to manage your time....being organized and not lazy helps a lot, i hope in some 3 years i will be donde with the career and i hope as engineer i will earn much money working less time which means i will have more free times to invest in music and maybe then i will be more constant about releasing....for know i feel confortable releasing 2 every year, studing and working.
yacek
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by yacek »

Artificial wrote:
yacek wrote: ur an idiot... it's either music or nothing... maybe you guys don't really know much about producing, but it's a full time job and either you're dedicated or you're not.
is that the responsable thing u wanna tell people : if u want to make music, dont do anything else and hope ull get a breakthrough, in a bussiness you need to be very lucky..
I was livin it in the moment there... heh... but really it is about how much u can devote to everything and manage... it's not easy for me to do school and music, because there are only 24 hours in a day and it feels like you need so much more.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

yacek wrote:
Artificial wrote:
I was livin it in the moment there... heh... but really it is about how much u can devote to everything and manage... it's not easy for me to do school and music, because there are only 24 hours in a day and it feels like you need so much more.
Surely too much music would be a bad thing no? I for one need time off, relaxing doing other things away from music otherwise i get overally stressed and when I start forcing myself to do music it just doesnt come.
hernangrau
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by hernangrau »

it's all about sacrifice,
i :
-work in a regular job,
-study certified accountancy(5 years carrear, still 1 year yet),
-got 3 record labels (miniatura records,mischievous musique,shufflemood)
-got a Beatport exlcusive aggregator business(www.miniaturamusic.com)
-got girlfriend
-got friends
-got family
-live alone(clean the house,cut the grass,blablbla)

and i still find some time to make music (myspace.com/hernangrau)

it's all about sleeping 2 hours a day (-) hahaha
Not, for real, it's imposible to do all the things at 100%, but you can do all making best the more relevant to you. Nobody is chasing you, so take your time and enjoy the ride, you'll find the balance ;)
yacek
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by yacek »

::BLM:: wrote:Surely too much music would be a bad thing no? I for one need time off, relaxing doing other things away from music otherwise i get overally stressed and when I start forcing myself to do music it just doesnt come.
yes, i need time off too sometimes... but a lot of people here seem to do music as a side thing, like if this is what you love than is it really that hard to get a job at some studio or a production company, it makes me question there motives for producing music in the first place... or work at a radio station, just somewhere where you can be in an environment where people share a common interest in music.
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

I don't see why you have to sell your stuff and give up music altogether.

If you bust your ass and don't fck around partying all the time you can finish school in four years. Get a kick ass job and then make music again with your free time off work. Im sure you can find a couple hours a week to fool around with production during college too.

DOn't just sell all your stuff if you love making music though. Just put it aside for a bit and get your life where you need it to be and then get back to business. I doubt that music wont still be here in four years.
kruko
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kruko »

I finished university on time, got a job, had a girlfriend for a very long time, hang out with friends, go out on weekends, and still managed to do music (even started playing guitar). All you gotta do is focus, and unfortunately - sacrifice something. I don't sleep enough, and i don't have time for some sports.