Live Disk Overload Issue!

- ask away
Shadi Megallaa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Live Disk Overload Issue!

Post by Shadi Megallaa »

Yooo peeps, currently working on my liveset and having a big problem.. The D = disk overload thing is on in the top right corner and I have no idea what i can do to solve this issue.. I thought there wasn't enough space on the drive that i'm playing the liveset off of, but i've just got a new external drive with plenty of space and apparently thats not it.. Any help is greatly appreciated.. what worries me is that i've just started to put loops in and i need to put a lot more and i'm having this issue.. its killlllllllllin me..
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

Are you on windows, or mac?

Is your computer old, or new?

Have you de-fragmented recently?

Are all your audio files in one place?

Answers on a postcard please.
Shadi Megallaa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shadi Megallaa »

i'm on Windows, and i've got the VGN-SZ series VAIO, id say its about a year and a half old, I haven't de-fragmented in agessss.. and yeah all my audio files are in the live set project folder..
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

http://forums.devshed.com/computer-hard ... 93981.html

http://forums.techguy.org/archive-hardw ... write.html

strange problem, hope the links help...

*edit*

Just noticed you referred to an external HD; if your using that to read from, i bet thats your problem....
kahl_s
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Live Disk Overload Issue!

Post by kahl_s »

Shadi Megallaa wrote:Yooo peeps, currently working on my liveset and having a big problem.. The D = disk overload thing is on in the top right corner and I have no idea what i can do to solve this issue.. I thought there wasn't enough space on the drive that i'm playing the liveset off of, but i've just got a new external drive with plenty of space and apparently thats not it.. Any help is greatly appreciated.. what worries me is that i've just started to put loops in and i need to put a lot more and i'm having this issue.. its killlllllllllin me..
Had similar problems when I ran the live from an external harddrive. I got strange cracks when I used the computer keyboard. And the overall speed was affected.
Might has something to do with the data transportation from the external drive to RAM and vice versa.
If you run everything internally when you play live data can ship faster in and out of ram, even though the drive speed is slower.

I ditched my external drive for live-sets and run everything internally now, and everything is cool now.
however i still stream everything when I produce externally.
And also, the cable for the external drive shouldn´t be longer than 1.5 m, if I remember correctly :).

Let me know how things progress bro.
Shadi Megallaa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shadi Megallaa »

thanks for the tips fellas, actually I wasn't always running live from an external drive. I was doing it internally before and still had that problem. I just de-fragged last night, but hadn't had the chance to test it yet as i'm at work. Will try it out when i'm back home. Hope its a little better, will keep you all updated.

Staffan, the cable is much shorter than 1.5 m. Worst case scenaria i'll have to take it to the Sony people and try to get it serviced. Hope i won't need to do that tho..
Shadi Megallaa
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shadi Megallaa »

Sooooo.. i had a techgeeknerd wizard friend of mine come by today to help me, and after clearing about 7 gb of space on the c drive and messing around with the startup and taking some applications off, we managed to get it to run a bit better.. It takes a lot more messing around on live, but still eventually overloads.. it is working much better tho.. thinking of getting an additional 1 gb of RAM.. anyone have any other suggestions?
Perc Trax
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Perc Trax »

Put all or some of the audio clips into ram. This can be done in the Clip Edit screen by pressing the 'RAM' button and will ease the amount of work the hard drive has to do. Adding an extra gig or two of ram will help with this method as well.