Menno
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

home-studio question

Post by Menno »

ok, so i bought my first pair of active monitors,
they sound super

now I'm planning to transform my dark room into a little home studio

any of you guys have some good tips for sound isolation?
or other tips, monitor position and so..
any sites you like to refer me too?

pictures of your own home studios?

let me know guys!

ciao!
Menno
marcneyen
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by marcneyen »

acoustics:

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

if you wanna have more practical advice look around here:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-c ... acoustics/
Menno
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Menno »

thanks marcneyen!

will look at them right away! :green:
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

from a very basic level;
make sure you site your monitors mid way on the longest wall, and try not to put them right in the corners.
nearfields should be quite close to you, and make sure theres no obstructions of any sort between the speakers and you.

acoustics - without having a professional acoustician check out your room, its difficult to give advice, my studio isnt treated at all, it sounds fine as it is, but i do keep all my empty gear boxes piled up in the corners on the wall where my monitors are, and i have thick,heavy lined curtains, and as many soft furnishings (sofa's etc) in the room as i can with it being cluttered.
(also my walls are wooden panels which is really lucky !)

the first thing to do is to listen and see if there's any obvious faults like ringing, rattling, bass booms, echos etc. if there isnt, then you might not need to treat it all. if there is, then you will have to acoustically treat the room, maybe bass-traps etc in which case you need to read up as much as you can about the subject.
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

The quick and easy for acoustic treatment is to use rockwool/owens corning 703 and frame it with some sort of breathable fabric wrapped all around. Build several of these panels and hang then on the walls and perhaps a couple from the ceiling. You dont have to be a master carpenter to build these and the result is both very effective and very cheap. For basstraps, wrap an unopened package of the acoustic material and stick the bundle where you need it.

The material is however a bit messy, but it is the most effective material to use. It is commonly used in walls for insulation. To increase the low frequency performance of the panels, offset them from the wall. It works the opposite of subwoofers.

For isolation, good luck. Nothing simple is goign to keep the neighbors on other sides of the room from being affected. Sealing your window might help in sound going outside. However, keep in mind that whatever levels are a problem for your neighbors are also probably a problem for the longevity of your ears.
freeeeeee
Menno
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Menno »

thank steevio and ami,

ami you're right about the ear thing ;)
got to protect those babies, would be super evil if something would happen to them...dont want to end up like beethoven :arrow: beathoven

i'll make some pictures of the room i would like to use
it's a not too big room in my basement, it has a double door, used to be my dark room, so there is like one wall made of wood and a rolling door is also made out of wood....

maby its just better for me to make some pictures and show it to you guys?

ciao! :-flower
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

http://recording.org/ also check these forums out ;)
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
Menno
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Menno »

waa thanks robot criminal (-)
cant wait to clean up the dark room and start rebuilding it into a studio...

checked the acoustics this morning and, sound pretty good actually, now i only have to transform it into a bunker of sound :)

would be super cool, a place only for music, bye-bye bedroom producing :D ;)

ciao guys!