What laptop do you suggest?

- ask away
simonfromuk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by simonfromuk »

IBM Thinkpad

They're really really expensive but practically indestructible. Best build quality of any laptop I've seen, quality components, good after-sales support.

They're like volvos - boxy but good. I'm a really clumsy bastich and mine's still going strong after nearly 2 years of strong abuse (gigging, smoking, dropping, throwing around).

Plus they come with a hidden partition that contains all windows installs so if everything screws up you just hit a button and it automatically re-images the machine. You have to reinstall any extra software (but you always have to do that) and once it's built, you just connect it to the internet and it automagically updates all your drivers etc.

Great piece of kit.
Redsnappy
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Redsnappy »

i have no experience but i'm searching one too.in fm165 there is a laptop test.they test them with cubase (import 24 bit track with 5 reverb inserts)the machines are apple powerbook g4,dell inspiron 6000,hi-grade notino c7000i,hp dv1139ea,rock pegasus tl sna sony vaio vgn-fs215z.i write respectively info which are important to me
no of track supported: 3( :shock: well it's not "logic"),15,13,,13,14,14
battery life: 2h45,2h40,2h30,2h43,3h45,1h45(weak)
magazine rate for performance:5,9,6,5,7,6
i decided to go for a dell inspiron (but it's the heaviest.3,5kg) 8)
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

tmp wrote:thats not true!
apple has a complete different structure of their processors!
you cant compare it! (and apple is definitely faster in media applications! )
Yes, Apple processors do have a different structure than PC processors. That does not necessarily make the Apple processors faster though. 1 Ghz is still 1 Ghz. The speed is what it says, no more, no less. I use a 3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 and that would be faster than a 2.7 Ghz Apple processor, even if only by a little bit. But structure does not change the actual Ghz speed if I am correct. And for Ableton, a very fast processor is essential for it to run well.

I can't wait for the day when there are 10Ghz processors, haha.
tmp
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by tmp »

thats not true!
1ghz apple != 1 ghz pentium architecture

the apple architecture uses a complete different instruction set. (and it is btw a 64bit processor)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC_G4

and another big feature is the so called "HyperTransport"
it is a bidirectional connection between your gfx card and the monitor.
it also allows your soundcard to react faster to actions on your screen.

then you have a Branch Prediciton Unit which manages the transport of data between cpu and memory and prevents memory jumps.
fader
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fader »

indeed jesse, that's complete bull. the ghz mentioned does not mean the same on x86 or macintosh. pentium is not ppc
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

That is what I said, 1 Ghz = 1 Ghz. Unless you meant for != to be ≠ which would be not equal to. It's rather frivolous to advertise processors with a frequency to represent speed if they are different but represented by the same number.

But whatever. My suggestion is to just go out and try out different laptops, Apple and PC in a similar price range and see how they meet your needs and then buy the one which suits your needs the most. Both Apple computers and PCs can do great things. It's just a matter of finding which is best for you.
tmp
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by tmp »

yeah != means not equal (im programming C for too long time :D )
1 ghz pentium architecture is "slower" than 1 ghz apple (g4/g5) architecture.

but you're right. you have to pay a lot of money so dont be too fast with your decision. im studying computational logic and have the posibility to test apple,sun and intel systems all the day :P
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

If I had it my way right now, I would get both an Apple and a VAIO type laptop. I'd be able to do everything I wanted with ease that way.

However, money is an issue, as it always is. :roll:

Oh, and another plus about Apple computers is that they very rarely if ever get spyware or viruses compared to PCs. It would be nice if the Windows OS had that kind of security.