Moving to Berlin, looking for gigs or work!

- ask away
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

yeah, that's pretty much why I chose Prague when I left the UK. I could've moved to Berlin and was strongly considering Madrid.

Here in CZ, I can make a good living just because I speak English - teaching, translation, voice work etc. Not to mention, the DJ always gets paid and a free bar :)

With Berlin... it's hard to resist - it's such a cool place. But from experience, I've found it gets rather tedious and a bit over-cooked when you're surrounded by loads of creatives all chasing the same dream. I'd probably be more up for there if I was just a few years younger.

Oh yeah, and big cities are sh!t when you're skint and run out of opportunities.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

In which clubs in Berlin, does the DJ pay to be able to play there?
(I have never heard of this before, and am quite surprised it this should be true)..
tintin2085
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tintin2085 »

I have see an TV report about the nightflife in Berlin, but i have lost the name of the club. You must make the promotion and be sure that people come to your party if you don't want to pay the club owner. I think it's a little bit like a club for rent. I find it's better to make your own partys in a warehouse than pay a club for mix :lol:
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

tintin2085 wrote:I have see an TV report about the nightflife in Berlin, but i have lost the name of the club. You must make the promotion and be sure that people come to your party if you don't want to pay the club owner. I think it's a little bit like a club for rent. I find it's better to make your own partys in a warehouse than pay a club for mix :lol:
But it's the same thing you're talking then?

Either do your own 'warehouse' party where you also can loose tons of money, or do a night at one of the clubs, where you are responsible for the money situation yourself and eventually a big loss..

or?
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

tintin2085 wrote:I have see an TV report about the nightflife in Berlin, but i have lost the name of the club. You must make the promotion and be sure that people come to your party if you don't want to pay the club owner. I think it's a little bit like a club for rent. I find it's better to make your own partys in a warehouse than pay a club for mix :lol:
ive not heard of this in 5.5 years of living here.

it is true that it is very difficult to find work in berlin, but thats waht makes it rewarding to figure out a way to stay. Unemployment has actually dropped down a bit, perhaps even to 13 percent. Ive seen a lot mroe help wanted signs for basic jobs in recent years.

The dj pool is flooded, but only an amateur expects to play here every week. The plus side to the market being flooded, is that if you are good, networking si easier to get more lucrative gigs out of town.

for real tho, we as a subculture need fewer djs and more people doing something fresher with the music
freeeeeee
mrgreynoise

Post by mrgreynoise »

Interesting responses all around, thanks guys!
tintin2085
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tintin2085 »

patrick bateman wrote:
But it's the same thing you're talking then?

Either do your own 'warehouse' party where you also can loose tons of money, or do a night at one of the clubs, where you are responsible for the money situation yourself and eventually a big loss..

or?
I have see on the TV that some DJs must pay for mix, but it's just one club, it's the politic of the club for make discover new talents.
Personnally it's maybe better to make your own partys, the risk is bigger but you can win more money :lol:
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

tintin2085 wrote: Personnally it's maybe better to make your own partys, the risk is bigger but you can win more money :lol:
ha! making money from putting on gigs. thats the funniest thing i ever heard.