mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by stanhope »

just listen to a lot of jungle and idm
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i'm passionate about polyrhythms, and i'd love to get into more banter about it, but i think i said everything that i know about it in the thread last year, and i'm ultra busy right now.

one thing i will say is that the main reason why anything other than the usual 3/4 rhythms are quite rare in minimal techno/house, is that they are hard work to get right and most people just give up on it and scurry off back to the safety of 4/4.

there is some truth in the 'feeling it' issue, one of the reasons why i tend to use a sequencer more than playing notes and rhythms in by hand is because i have a natural tendency to always play 6/8 rhythms in without realising it, which isnt too useful in a genre dominated by 4/4.

http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... innovative

thanks for the kind words oblioblioblio !!
Last edited by steevio on Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

yeah i read through all of that topic before and it was very beneficial and explains the subject very clearly. everyone should read it if they get a chance and they have the time of course.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

That post is a good read, I remember it from when it was first discussed.

I think a simple way of thinking about polyrythms is simply as the secondary rythym, you have a predominant rythym, which might say just be a 44 kick goign bom bom bom at regular intervals.

A polyrythym would be like ghost notes from the kick, not hitting right on the kick - either through being directly placed as a distinct note or through subtle syncopation.

So to give a real life example as regards writing techno , you'd have say a 44 kick on one channel, then some clicks and lighter cicks and perhaps some claves on another channel which weren't following the beat, but providing an extra rythym.

One way I try to make interesting polyrythms is to write really long patterns and then increment the length down and up until it puts is into a different timing, can make for nice interesting - seemingly never ending loops.

Anyway - that's my self taught understanding of it, I don't know if it would pass me a music exam (probably not).
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Atheory wrote:yeah i read through all of that topic before and it was very beneficial and explains the subject very clearly. everyone should read it if they get a chance and they have the time of course.
I'll have a good look at that when I get home. Never really been one for experimenting with stuff like that. That said, I have done stuff without realising it's polyrhythmic at the time. Simply by chaining drum machines and having say a kick, snare hat routine over 16 steps in 4/4 time on one of them, then something like a 14 step pattern on another playing percussion yeilds an interesting sequence over say 8 bars. I guess that's polyrhythmic?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

AVX23 wrote: I think a simple way of thinking about polyrythms is simply as the secondary rythym, you have a predominant rythym, which might say just be a 44 kick goign bom bom bom at regular intervals.

A polyrythym would be like ghost notes from the kick, not hitting right on the kick - either through being directly placed as a distinct note or through subtle syncopation.

So to give a real life example as regards writing techno , you'd have say a 44 kick on one channel, then some clicks and lighter cicks and perhaps some claves on another channel which weren't following the beat, but providing an extra rythym.
I dunno man. obviously everyone knows what works for them, but I think the dominant versus sub dominant thing is pretty constraining.

The are some tracks (especially ones that combine interesting pitches within rhythms) that aren't just 1 rhythm rubbing against another but turn the whole vertical and horizontal structure into a beautiful kalaidoscope.

I think the 1 against another approach is probably useful as a starting point (otherwise you end up with tracks that make you feel seasick... like mine :) ). But definitely I think there is much more territory that can be explored.

(Probably though we're talking from the same page and I'm nitpicking your wording rather than your meaning.)
sologroove
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Polyrhythms..

Post by sologroove »

::BLM:: wrote:Anyone fully understand and use these?

Can you recommend me a website that talks about these? Been looking into it, but i am really getting very confused.
this is my way ..
i set my beat to 6/4 or 6/8 -not 4/4 or 4/8-
then i set the instrument which should sound polyrhytmic to each 4 beat -12/8 or 8 beat -6/8- in pattern..thats it ..yeah.but i'm in fl studio...

this is an example of using polyrhythms in 4/4 beat or 4/8

but these doesn't sound so continuously like in 6/8 or 6/4 beat..see the red marks...
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

this was very well presented thanks!!
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk