Polyrhythms..

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Also may have heard the track you were talking about Steevio at a gig you were playing (?) . I had gone to the toilet and all I could hear was a kick drum in 3/4 kinda time and I thought to myself 'hmm, i'm not sure about this... too much like polka or swing or something' but then when I got back and everything else was there it was much more of an 'aha' thing. heheh.

polyrhythm is great.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:Also may have heard the track you were talking about Steevio at a gig you were playing (?) . I had gone to the toilet and all I could hear was a kick drum in 3/4 kinda time and I thought to myself 'hmm, i'm not sure about this... too much like polka or swing or something' but then when I got back and everything else was there it was much more of an 'aha' thing. heheh.

polyrhythm is great.
interesting you should say that, the way i set the tempo for my tracks is by going downstairs and listening to it from far away, then i go back to the tempo and adjust it till the tempo in the room sounds similar to the tempo from downtairs. if the tempo is wrong, it will sound really fast from downstairs. weird sht.

@ AVX23 yes its the same thing bro,
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

steevio wrote: interesting you should say that, the way i set the tempo for my tracks is by going downstairs and listening to it from far away, then i go back to the tempo and adjust it till the tempo in the room sounds similar to the tempo from downtairs. if the tempo is wrong, it will sound really fast from downstairs. weird sht.

@ AVX23 yes its the same thing bro,
I'm not 100% exactly. Maybe it was kick and bass. But I'm pretty sure that in the bathroom it sounded more like a waltz and on the dancefloor it was more like techno, but still the same track.

edit... Most likely it might be a psychoacoustic kinda thing. Possibly we perceive things differently.

I will investigate this strange relationship of fastness and distance more. Seems very interesting.
Last edited by oblioblioblio on Fri May 08, 2009 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

Being the kind of guy who learns by example and dissecting other things, would it be too much to ask for a midi file of a good polyrhythm? :)
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

shypht wrote:Being the kind of guy who learns by example and dissecting other things, would it be too much to ask for a midi file of a good polyrhythm? :)
+1 please :oops:
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Try putting in a couple of normal patterns in multiples of 4 that work for you. And then change the length of one of them to something different. 3/6/9/12 is the most obvious starting point.

That's a good custom made polyrythm right there.

It's much more simple than these conversations make it seem like it is. really.

it takes w while to get a feel for how it affects your music, cos really it is a whole open map of rhythm. but the heart of it is just really simple maths. if you are passionate about music and can multiply 2/3/5/6 (and maybe 7) then you are already well on your way.
Nebula
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Polyrhythms..

Post by Nebula »

knock knock , is anybody here .
Sorry to revise this old thread but the info here is just invaluable to me as I go down the rabbit whole in polyrhythms .
All here has been a great help Ive been reading this over and over agin trying to get my head around it .
Thank you Steevio , years later and your help here is still greatly appreciated !
But are you still around on this forum !

One question I have for Steevio or anybody is when making techno how do you get your sounds to weave in and out of each other so fluently and cohesive .
Is their a certain polyrhythms like 3/4 , 5/3 or something like that , that's good for that kind of thing ?

Another question :
Do polyrhythms follow the math that says a 5/3 (etc..) = 5x3 = 15 steps so one sound has 5 notes over 15 steps and the other has 3 notes over 15 steps ? Is this correct
If so do all the notes need to be spaced out evenly or in a certain position ?

I know theres a general rule of just go with what sounds good but just wanted to know if I'm doing it right .

Thanks hope you guys are still here , please post link or info if you have any good resources on this specially as related to techno .
ocp
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: Polyrhythms..

Post by ocp »

Has this euclidean sequencer been mentioned before (sorry, thread too long to go through it all)?

http://www.hisschemoller.com/blog/2011/ ... -patterns/