Byetone/Olaf Bender

- ask away
cebec
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Byetone/Olaf Bender

Post by cebec »

His new album, 'Death of a Typographer' is out and it's a powerful, minimal groover. I was wondering what he's using to sequence and synthesize his percussion. Anyone have any clue?
Thanks,
Matt
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Byetone/Olaf Bender

Post by Atheory »

cebec wrote:His new album, 'Death of a Typographer' is out and it's a powerful, minimal groover. I was wondering what he's using to sequence and synthesize his percussion. Anyone have any clue?
Thanks,
Matt

listened to the album the other day, wasnt mad about it, doesnt seem to be doing anything special percusion wise to suggest he is using anything to different from others.

you could achieve it with a standard cubase/logic/ableton setup.
fromkaraoketostardom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by fromkaraoketostardom »

being in the raster-noton team, i guess he's using max/msp, like alva noto, ikeda, etc.....
Isidoor
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Isidoor »

fromkaraoketostardom wrote:being in the raster-noton team, i guess he's using max/msp, like alva noto, ikeda, etc.....
:shock:

I just googled that and I can't seem to wrap my head around it .
What does it do exactly, and why use something like that over more traditional music production software? And is there any reason to learn how to use it from scratch?
pikk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by pikk »

its even difficult to talk about the endless possibilieties. :D

basically why use other peoples software when u can make your own
cebec
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by cebec »

fromkaraoketostardom wrote:being in the raster-noton team, i guess he's using max/msp, like alva noto, ikeda, etc.....
I've heard Nicolai uses it and I've seen him pictured with a laptop running it and an EMS Synthi A which he seemed to be sampling. I was just curious what those guys use, really. I've assumed Max/MSP but I can't find much to back it up.