ppl that dj with turntables and ableton - what is ur setup?

- ask away
Alexey Mirsky
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

ppl that dj with turntables and ableton - what is ur setup?

Post by Alexey Mirsky »

Just picked up m-audio fast track ultra, hooked it up with xone:92 out of aux1 and into return, will be sweet if I can get the clicks to go away (m-audio kb says it's most likely CPU throttling, will test that theory tonight). Will try to map MIDI tonight too. Outside of the technical problems, I'm pretty psyched about the possibilities. Anyway, just curious, if you run a similar setup, how you did it and how you use it.
superk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by superk »

one word. latency. if you figure out how to remedy it, 1. tell me, 2. get a job with minus
SomeoneWhoIsntMe
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by SomeoneWhoIsntMe »

mspinky has a VST plugin.

stick two of them into audio channels in ableton

only downside is the vst program doesn't have looping or bpm display or any of that

because everything stays in the laptop instead of going out through the mixer then back in, there are no latency problems (at least no worse than traditional timecode)

it's pretty interesting
Alexey Mirsky
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Alexey Mirsky »

superk wrote:one word. latency. if you figure out how to remedy it, 1. tell me, 2. get a job with minus
in the windows networking world, increasing the buffer size solves a lot of latency issues, of course memory use goes up with that. dunno how that translates to computer audio world though.

someone - at this time i'm trying to effect / remix actual vinyl, not timecode, though i will get to that shortly. now i'm thinking i should have got an interface with phono pre-amps so i could use timecode too, but the only one that has that and midi is hella pricy.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

Alexey Mirsky wrote:
superk wrote:one word. latency. if you figure out how to remedy it, 1. tell me, 2. get a job with minus
in the windows networking world, increasing the buffer size solves a lot of latency issues, of course memory use goes up with that. dunno how that translates to computer audio world though.

someone - at this time i'm trying to effect / remix actual vinyl, not timecode, though i will get to that shortly. now i'm thinking i should have got an interface with phono pre-amps so i could use timecode too, but the only one that has that and midi is hella pricy.
Its exactly the same..!

Ive just bought the ultra, its pretty damned good..

just go into the cards settings and increase your buffer size until it comfortably plays....

The only way ive found how to get rid of latency is to actually use ableton as the mixer...

still wank though...
sajin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by sajin »

When I was doing this, I opened up my X:92 and switched the jumper that allowed the tempo knob to become just another midi controller.
In ableton I set up a midi controller for the tempo and set the range to be over 8 bpm, so the resolution of the knob on the mixer (midi controller) was fine enough to have small adjustments to the bmp of ableton.
With this set up i didn't have to worry about latency because I could control the bpm of ableton and match it just like any other record.
Also I would use ableton on a AUX channel, the eqs on those channels don't have the same depth as the line channels, and you can't use the filters.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Yeh yeh, its not the beatmatching thats the problem, its sending your deck output through ableton to use its effects, because of the latency it sucks ass

live is my 3rd deck, but the sound quality is shocking really....
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

double post.....
:cry: