What have you sacrificed or lost through making music?

- ask away
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

What have you sacrificed or lost through making music?

Post by Dusk »

Very simply, Ive been sitting in my bedroom for over the last ten years. I have *tried* to maintain a decent life balance, did school and university and threw myself into those things authentically, and those other things (girlfriend, clubbing, drug abuse etc.)

However I realise that now Im no longer a kid with endless time to waste. Ive become really conscious that all the hours I spend hunched over my MIDI keyboard and Nord Lead are hours that others are spending developing their career, playing team sports, going to the gym, strengthening their friendship circles, seeing the world, going out for dinner, etc etc. I've definitely lost friends through repeatedly shutting myself away to work on music. This has become critical distraction from my task of trying to create good music.

It would be ok, I think, if the "gamble" had paid off by now, but in reality Im still refining my sound and never satisfied, meaning ive never sent work out even though I know its there-or-thereabouts.

I wondered if anyone else had any thoughts on this?

The saying goes that sacrifices must be made to create anything worthwhile, and part of me is 100% determined that my life should produce something special, out of the ordinary, even if I lose things in the process.
Some music:
www.myspace.com/cloakmusic

Reviews, news and more:
www.inverted-audio.co.uk
Jack Rock
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Jack Rock »

Maybe you should spend some time cosidering your workflow and habits. If you've spent 10 years making music and feel it's almost good enough, but still haven't sent it out then you're probably never gonna get satisfied unless you cross the barrier and get your stuff out in the open!

I say send it out right now. What's the worst that can happen? If it's sh!t, then the world will let you know and you can get on with your life.

But chances are it's not sh!t. Maybe it's even great. Who knows!

EDIT: Forum sw changes "sh!t" into "sht"! What's up with that? I can't say sh!t? :P
sh!t sh!t sh!t sh!t sh!t sh!t sh!t
http://www.myspace.com/djjackrock
http://www.jackrock.dk
http://soundcloud.com/jack-rock
---
Out now:
Cleymore - "Reel Dance EP (inc. Jack Rock rmx)" - Sui Generiz 09
Jack Rock - "Rendez Vous EP" - Archipel 065
Jack Rock - "Filter Games" - ArtiFarti 007
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

a career, money, status, credibility, security. a more balanced, well rounded amount of hobbies.
aut.t.n
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by aut.t.n »

Second that. Send it out NOW! I guess you will feel rewarded just by the fact that your work is out there then. (Any) Feedback is critical to get contact to reality. And... how do you want to "produce something special" when nobody can hear/see?

BTW: Are you using thc regularly? If yes, stop it immediately if you want to develop and find a balance.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

aut.t.n wrote: BTW: Are you using thc regularly? If yes, stop it immediately if you want to develop and find a balance.

i always though that was complete sh!t, but i was proved very wrong over the last 6months. unless you want make really, really self indulgent music. then, smoke loads.

that said, it probably differs for everybody.
royen
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by royen »

Sleep.
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

Atheory wrote:a career, money, status, credibility, security. a more balanced, well rounded amount of hobbies.
A nice theory, A theory. However I feel strongly that the best music is always made through dedication. Theres only 24 hours in a day, and youve got to sleep, eat, work, and all the other essential things. I think therefore it often comes down to "other people vs music". I really do - and it's a problem.

As to sending music out, Im going to actually make a frigging myspace one of these days. God Im useless.
Some music:
www.myspace.com/cloakmusic

Reviews, news and more:
www.inverted-audio.co.uk
Ronny Pries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ronny Pries »

Dusk,

if the process of making music doesn't give you anything you've most probably done it all wrong - thus i'd understand your resumee. But i doubt it as well.

Making music is one of the most wonderful things i discovered in my life, it has become some kind of native language for me. Tweaking synths, playing around with chords etc means more to me than "commercial" success itself.

And shouldn't this be what music production is all about? Developing ones own view of things and putting emotion and efforts in it to realize it? Doesn't this make the difference between true art and crap, good artists and those that just copy, astounding dj's and those who just sync tracks?
Always think twice.