What have you sacrificed or lost through making music?

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:I often feel guilty about spending so much time immersed in music, when i could perhaps be doing something more constructive... its a kind of selfish pursuit in some ways....

Obviously, if your able to make tracks that other people find connection with, its different, but i dont really think 'yeh loads of ppl will love this'... its all about me!
Yeah this is something I've thought about a bit as well mate. Basically I ended up involved in music because I spent lots of time avoiding things I didn't want to do and ended up with a great life skill on a plate for me.

But as musicians we have it pretty lucky I think... cos pretty much the way for us to be good at what we do is to be totally selfish and make exactly the music we like.

still not proud of it though, heheh.
ano.phi
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ano.phi »

I kicked out my best friend/roommate and broke up with my girlfriend of 3 years because they were taking me completely away from music (needy bitches). I don't regret either and never will.

If it's what you want to do, you have to follow it on the most intelligent path. I'm not going to berate anyone for not releasing music though, but i'll say this, don't regret anything. It's the most useless and detrimental of human emotions.
www.myspace.com/anosound
www.myspace.com/phisound

communikey.us/festival - Boulder Electronic Music Festival April '08
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

ano.phi wrote:I kicked out my best friend/roommate and broke up with my girlfriend of 3 years because they were taking me completely away from music (needy bitches). I don't regret either and never will.

If it's what you want to do, you have to follow it on the most intelligent path. I'm not going to berate anyone for not releasing music though, but i'll say this, don't regret anything. It's the most useless and detrimental of human emotions.
That is pretty extreme!! If you dont regret it then they couldnt of meant much to you in the first place man.... :roll:
ano.phi
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ano.phi »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:
ano.phi wrote:I kicked out my best friend/roommate and broke up with my girlfriend of 3 years because they were taking me completely away from music (needy bitches). I don't regret either and never will.

That is pretty extreme!! If you dont regret it then they couldnt of meant much to you in the first place man.... :roll:

Well, it was very, very painful. Two of the most painful things i've ever done. That doesn't mean i have to regret it though. Of course there were other factors involved in each case, but the biggest reasons of all were because these people were taking so much out of me that i couldn't be a part of what it is that i love. I helped run the Communikey festival last month and i could never have done it otherwise. Just the way things go i guess.
www.myspace.com/anosound
www.myspace.com/phisound

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

Im not like you, i think regret is a healthy reaction, ive got loads of regrets, and although i dont dwell on them, they help me make reasoned decisions...

But if your happy then you made the right choice, simple :wink:
ano.phi
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ano.phi »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:Im not like you, i think regret is a healthy reaction, ive got loads of regrets, and although i dont dwell on them, they help me make reasoned decisions...

But if your happy then you made the right choice, simple :wink:

Of course, regret, like fear, is a normal, healthy reaction, but dwelling on it and accepting it as a state of mind rather than to analyze and progress beyond it, is in itself unhealthy and detrimental. That is, of course, what i meant when i said the feeling is unhealthy. Sorry for not being more clear. :)
www.myspace.com/anosound
www.myspace.com/phisound

::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:I love money too much so my career comes first...

My biggest passion in life is still music, but ive worked fucking hard to get where i am and wouldnt waste now...

Just another point of view...

I have a huge amount of respect for anyone who would give up a career to make music though....
My career is music. I worked making around 30k a year, but decided to give it up because I was well unhappy not being able to focus on music. Giving up my job was the best thing I have ever done, granted i dont have lots of money but i now have loads of time to make music.

Regarding loved ones and music. It can be a tricky one, im only 22 but am in a serious relationship where i live with my gf. She loves my music its great, all i need to do now is get her to sign on my tunes and ill be happy.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

I gave up a very good paying job as a chef to make this music. I'v also given up some education opportunities because of lack of money due to making music. I'v lost relationships because of my musical addiction. I know i'v spent way too much money on records. I'v lost any kind of good credit rating. I'v probably lost my chance at any kind of normalcy to my life. But for what i get in return for choosing this path i would give up 100x more.

Sacrifice is a requirement to live the life of a blues man. A friend of mine summed it up real good for me one time, he said:
"If you really want this path you have to accept all the things that come with it. You're supposed to get depressed, make music, travel the world bearing your soul for not much money, drink yourself stupid, knock up a bitch, fall in love, watch her dump your ass, get depressed and write another track about it....... and repeat till death hoping that somebody will remember you after your gone."