Fake Producers?

- ask away
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Fake Producers?

Post by victorgonzales »

Okay in the other thread people are talking about Timo Mass and Loco Dice and how they have Martin Buttrich make their songs.

Now it may be just me but I think it's chicken sh!t that they put his name in tiny letters on the release.

The title should read MArtin Buttrich and Loco Dice(or whoever) and then the track name.

I understand the idea that an artist could express his ideas through someone elses talent but to call yourself a producer and claim fame for the track being YOURS is Horse sh!t in my opinion.

What do you guys think?
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

i think its bs, but someone should ask buttrich, its really his choice?
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

livecollective wrote:i think its bs, but someone should ask buttrich, its really his choice?
True. I would do it for the right price for someone but I better be gettin PAID with a huge upfront bonus. Especially if its in tiny letters on the vinyl and not even mentioned on beatport.

As an artist Id never claim someone elses hard work as my own though.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

I saw this as the 1st sign of this music going commercial. i remember a lot of the big progressive house dj's did the same thing. Sasha got Junkie XL and some other guy to do his album and i think Steve Lawler had someone do his tracks.

it is a shame mp3's from beatport don't have credits.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

it's pretty normal.
aallvor
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by aallvor »

New Guy wrote:it's pretty normal.
Yeah, I doubt Loco Dice, Steve Lawler et al don't know their way around a studio...

It's more like having someone in the room to bounce ideas off, etc., rather than having them write the track for you..
re.vise
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by re.vise »

Dj Tiesto.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

This has gone on for years, amongst various shades of music : Techno, House, Acid, Trance, it's not really that different from a band having lots of good ideas, but them coming across a bit flat on a recording due to the band not knowing much about anything other than say - playing acoustic guitars and singing.

Suddenly a with good producer in the mix = some extra layers, a bright sparkling mix, some added synths or samples, extra power on the guitars in the shape of some fancy equipment or instruments.

Who can know eveyone's reason for getting a producer in, but in the pop world - it's how most of the acts work - each person playing their part in the pop machine to produce the perfect 'product'. Personally I like the idea of bouncing ideas of another person when I work, I love working with other artists , and have produced for others myself (without getting paid, purely because it made the music sound better).

If you think this is a sign of the music becoming commercial - you are already ten years behind the times, people like CJ Bolland kicked off their career like this, Sven Vath I'm sure used to get in other producers, bear in mind he couldn't even mix - let alone produce back in the day.

When the Liberators kicked off their career, most of the production and engineering was done by Henry Cullen (D.A.V.E the Drummer).

My friend once went down to work in his studio and they did a track, what came back was a trademark Hydraulix track almost - that's the way they work, they hone their skills, then rent them out to others to put their mark on stuff, it's highly commercial, but not exactly Multinational corporation or IOC standard.

So this is how the music industry tends to work - why then are you so surprised or even insulted by this ?

If you want to be different and produce your own work , like many of us do, then that's fantastic, but don't expect that the industry should even bat an eye at this or change to your formula.

To be honest mate - I'd spend less time worrying about this, and more time on your own projects, it makes no sense to berate other (sucessful) artists or producers on their failings, when you could be making your own successes.