demos: producing your own music

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Measax wrote:
and to add to this - this probably why so much of this stuff is starting to sound the same. people don't send anything in that doesn't sound like its supposed to... I don't think I've heard that many different sounds put out recently...
The reason why we have a lot of substandard tracks coming out is, because new artist send out tracks before they have reached a decent level of production. Then all it takes is for a dodgy label to put it out.
VanillaCamilla
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by VanillaCamilla »

tone-def wrote: The reason why we have a lot of substandard tracks coming out is, because new artist send out tracks before they have reached a decent level of production. Then all it takes is for a dodgy label to put it out.
ive heard this argument bfore, but if the track is bad in the first place, why are people playing it in their sets? (question not directed specifically at you tone-def)
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

victorgonzales wrote:
Measax wrote:
steevio wrote:
Measax wrote:I have to disagree with those saying don't send your demos for a few years. I haven't heard your stuff so who knows, you could be making some dope tunes and due to confidence and this forum talk have no idea. If you think its good then send away. Just compare it to other stuff, if you play out - mix in your traxs - or if you know any djs, give them one or two to test - if they like them they will play them and you will know. It helps to be around others and compare stuff. For some it takes years, others will less. The thing that will most likely take the longest is mixing (down) unless you've done other sound work or something like that.
you're right we havent heard plastik's stuff, but reading between the lines of what he's saying he's only just started, he doesnt really understand that 99% of electronic musicians produce their own music, and is wondering if he should be sending a rough demo in the same way an indie band would send a rough recording of a band practice in the hope that some producer would spot some talented singer/ songwriter, raw energy or whatever, and we have tried to explain that it's a completely different world.
i think its good advice, and i stand by my conviction that 2 years is not a long time to put into learning the basics of writing and producing electronic music. if he can do it in 6 months, then he's a star.
no-one wants to dampen plastik's spirit, we're on his side !
no worries... i said because sometimes type seems more harsh than the reality. Based on the comments I've read I don't see why you would be wrong at all but at the same time I believe it was jpls who sent hawtin demos for five years. and there is something of the same sort with alex smoke and soma [well one of those alex producers]. Either way rough or not rough I feel it would be good practice to start finishing and sending demos to people... some won't say sht other will give good advice or hell who knows he could get something out there in 6 months. either way what would he lose by sending in demos? I say send em on.

edit:

and to add to this - this probably why so much of this stuff is starting to sound the same. people don't send anything in that doesn't sound like its supposed to... I don't think I've heard that many different sounds put out recently...
Your a bit off the topic alot of us are on here.

Were talking about sound quality. Skill in mixdown and premastering. If you send someone a bunch of demos that sound like sht because you haven't taken enough time to learn to make your songs sound professional then they will start throwing your demos away before even listening to them.

It doesn't matter your style or genre or anything of that sort, if you dont know how to properlly eq your instruments and make them all work together without sounding like a muddy mess than you are doing more damage to your name than good by sending it out to all the labels.

Were not saying he is not making great songs but the question he asked is about sound quality and as far as most label owners I know are concerned the product needs to be pretty well finished and sound great. Style is up to the label owner but it sound quality is a must.

As for people not producing their own music and claiming it's theirs.....
Thats Weak! I had no idea people do that. Do they claim it as an original track or a collaboration?
You will see Buttrich name on all Loco Dice records (it's in small print "produced by Martin Buttrich").

It's funny because i saw an interview with Loco and he said about how his mate Timo hocked him up with his producer and how all his tracks are 50/50 Loco Dice and Martin Buttrich. Then at the end of the interview he completely contradicts himself by saying "my music is 100% Loco Dice". :?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

VanillaCamilla wrote:
tone-def wrote: The reason why we have a lot of substandard tracks coming out is, because new artist send out tracks before they have reached a decent level of production. Then all it takes is for a dodgy label to put it out.
ive heard this argument bfore, but if the track is bad in the first place, why are people playing it in their sets? (question not directed specifically at you tone-def)
But are they? i only really hear these tracks when shopping. I guess i'm quite luck and don't hear many bad dj's
VanillaCamilla
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by VanillaCamilla »

ah ok, so the music doesnt get out there, just presented through shopping outlets.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

no, i'm sure some of it sells but i don't hear it out because i normally go to nights who are run by very fussy people, who only book really good dj's, who know if a track is up to standard. It's normally people who are new to the music that might buy poorly produced music. I remember when i was 16 and i first got my decks i brought some awful records, which i thought were all right at the time. Then as i got older i realized i can only afford to buy the best tracks.
oz_music
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by oz_music »

send your demo man..you got nothing to lose..nothing..just dont send it to the best label in the world..focus on and find a label that suits the taste of tracks you are doing.all the best man.
plastik
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by plastik »

steevio wrote: i think its good advice, and i stand by my conviction that 2 years is not a long time to put into learning the basics of writing and producing electronic music. if he can do it in 6 months, then he's a star.
no-one wants to dampen plastik's spirit, we're on his side !
some of the best advice ever!! :wink:
I find it extremely inspiring and welcoming that someone with a lot of experience can come up with good words like these. my "fault" is the sudden rush I feel when I want to write my stuff but actually not being able to do it properly (yet :( ). gosh, having a thousand ideas but not putting them down to form is so frustrating sometimes.

victorgonzales wrote: I didn't mean good enough as in style I meant if you don't think it sounds as good as it can from your end you should work on getting your final product better.
Tracks sell alot easier if the label doesn't have to put much work into it to make it saleable.
words of wisdom!!
oz_music wrote:send your demo man..you got nothing to lose..nothing..just dont send it to the best label in the world..focus on and find a label that suits the taste of tracks you are doing.all the best man.
thank you very much for your support. this is priceless.