why is the machine drum better than the korg esx 1

- ask away
Yatmandu
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Yatmandu »

I just tend to question gear that is put high up on a pedestal because it's a la mode (MD, Ableton Live, etc). I'm sure it's flexible and easy to use and what not, but still...I can sort of picture a ton of MD's on ebay in a few years for some reason, which I don't with Jomox. I guess I prefer imperfect gear with character!
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

Yatmandu wrote:I just tend to question gear that is put high up on a pedestal because it's a la mode (MD, Ableton Live, etc). I'm sure it's flexible and easy to use and what not, but still...I can sort of picture a ton of MD's on ebay in a few years for some reason, which I don't with Jomox. I guess I prefer imperfect gear with character!
They all sell in equal amounts. If you haven't owned either of them for an extended time, then what you really prefer is your idea of gear and have yet to find out whether that is real or not.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
Shagghie
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Shagghie »

full disclosure:
I'm an avid Jomox fan...know JM personally, had dinners with him, drinks...best guy on earth... and total genius.

Owned: 888, 999, TokTok, Dr. Walker, mbase01, T-res ,M-res, Sunsyn
and multiple instances of the above for that matter.

Owned: MD mk1, SFX-60, MnM, MD mkII (x2), MnM mkII.

I just opened for the Dirtybirds the other day. I had to choose the gear that worked. www.justin.tv/shagghie I choose MD mkII.

Balls? the reso knob on the Elektron gear is equally or more dangerous as it is on Jomox or other analogue.
Character? They are both off the charts... both manfactures and drum machines.
Originality? Same thing.

There should be no debate about balls or kick drums or warmth or digital or good or bad. there is only music, the determination of the user, and the devine blessing that is ability to produce music in the first place, that matters.

I've been rocked by Korgs, Yamaha's, Rolands, E-MU's... I mean the list is endless. CR78's anyone? Currently I'm in love with a M1AM1, and find it to be one of the most musically inspiring pieces of kit since the Elektron gear first arrived...in almost 10 years perhaps.

Ebay won't be full of Elektrons of Jomox's... they are both monolithic, gorgeous towers of inspiration and infinite possibilities.

Juergen is a genius. So was Daniel. So is Jon.... on and on. I mean c'mon guys...these guys go out for beers together many times a year...and they DON' T argue over whose testicles are larger. Instead they just enjoy the beer...and the music.

HTH?

s
Yatmandu
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Yatmandu »

Ok, it seems I hit a few nerves. I guess I have never played with a MD - only heard others using them, but I do use a Jomox and I was going by what I perceived. It's all cool. We can't all be fans of the exact same gear or that would end up being kind of boring.

Also I'm pretty new to making electronic music so I definitely don't talk from much experience (although I have been listening to electronic music for a long time). I just happen to be an opinionated newb, that's all!
MagpieIndustries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MagpieIndustries »

Shagghie wrote:there is only music, the determination of the user, and the devine blessing that is ability to produce music in the first place, that matters.
There's the $600 price difference as well.
Shagghie
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Shagghie »

MagpieIndustries wrote:
Shagghie wrote:there is only music, the determination of the user, and the devine blessing that is ability to produce music in the first place, that matters.
There's the $600 price difference as well.
This is true...but in the scheme of things...it's the same difference for sake of this thread. I think, for example...a LOT more music can be made with a MD or Jomox alone, than is often made in a ROOM full of synths, sound modules, and midi cables. Likewise, even a DR-100 modded can produce an entire album if called upon to do so. The thing is that the differences discussed here aren't b/c of price differences, so much as design philosophies, programming prowess, creative engineering, and musical implementation. (vice dollars).

What do you think?
Shagghie
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Shagghie »

Yatmandu wrote:Ok, it seems I hit a few nerves. I guess I have never played with a MD - only heard others using them, but I do use a Jomox and I was going by what I perceived. It's all cool. We can't all be fans of the exact same gear or that would end up being kind of boring.

Also I'm pretty new to making electronic music so I definitely don't talk from much experience (although I have been listening to electronic music for a long time). I just happen to be an opinionated newb, that's all!
Just wanted to say "We've all been there".... especially myself.

One thing about gear is that each piece speaks to us differently, and unless we dedicate a considerable amount of time with something, and RTFM it, etc...it's hard to speak definitively about anything. To your credit...the one thing the Jomox gear does inDEED have...is balls. It's just that the Elektron gear also has balls, and they are made of solid Beryllium .

Anyway, just wanted to say mad respect for responding as you have...very humbling to read. Not sure I ever responded the same, when I used to tout how my mbase01 'gave my MD mk1 the 'kick' it needed'. Been there done that! :p
MagpieIndustries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MagpieIndustries »

Shagghie wrote:I think, for example...a LOT more music can be made with a MD or Jomox alone, than is often made in a ROOM full of synths, sound modules, and midi cables.

What do you think?
I think that's what people think, but I don't know if it's true or not. Loading up an electribe with a good set of samples leads to the same place in the end, for half the price. But if you want to look like a cool artist, then MD and a scarf all the way.