Changing Vista to XP for my new lappy

- ask away
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Changing Vista to XP for my new lappy

Post by kristofason »

I bought a coreduo2 t5250 1.5Ghz laptop and its not performing as well as i thought it would running ableton/cubasesx 3,im not exactly overloading them.I'm gettin random crashes n stuff too.Would it be worth scrapping vista and putting xp on??or can i tweak vista somehow...?Ive heard its a right chore tryin to get all the drivers for xp...
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

so youve got vista! ouch....

if your runnihng a vista lapop, there are ways to revert to xp, but youll have to run a duel boot and get one of the many third party apps that claim to adapt / replace the drivers, although in IMO its more trouble than its worth.

I did it with my dell laptop but never really got a stable environment so i just stick to vista.

Regarding vista, are your runining in 64 bit or 32? 32bit is far more stable in regard to pre cubase 4 music apps (i.e. 32 bit)... so change to 32bit mode if you need to.

The next thing is disable ALL unnessacccry windows effects and application, have the most basic theme and no desktop image, make it look like windows 95 maaan!

In the search box the start menu (or run box in xp) type in msconfig, and click the startup tab.

Youll no doubt see loads of crap that boots up with your cmputer but are hardly or never used. DISABLE THEM, only have whatever apps are nessaceryy to run windows (but keep cledx for convienence, the dongle generator for cubase, if your using it)

You should now notice a big differeence in your boot and running speed.

If youve already done this sh!t sorry for patronisng you maann.. just the obvious points that pop into my limited mind....
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

? Can't you just format the entire HD, and then install XP? Why would you need a dual boot?

Think it did happen to me once that I had to get Vista off a computer and XP on it, and I just did it by using a good oldbootable Windows 98 cd, let it format, put XP on it et voila :)

Vista is crap. Don't get why assemblers don't complain to Microsoft and simply demand to sell them XP oem's until the mess with Vista has been sorted out.
dyte
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dyte »

Aye if you can get a hold of a copy of XP then backup your data to an external drive, wipe the hdd in the laptop and install vista.

Prior to doing this check you can get drivers from the manufacturers website.

Also if you're unsure as to what you're doing, leave the recovery partition that the manufacturer would've created, that way if you want to go back to vista you can use their recovery cd/dvd.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

My experience was with a dell, and the drivers were non-existant....
ano.phi
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ano.phi »

I only use a stripped/bare version of XP. It would take alot to get me to use any other OS. Takes a couple hours to DL all necessary drivers, but other than that, nothing comes close in efficiency for PC's.
www.myspace.com/anosound
www.myspace.com/phisound

communikey.us/festival - Boulder Electronic Music Festival April '08
codix
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by codix »

so this look like a samsung R60 Aura T5250 Deeloy?

if yes. it looks good with the drivers, looked up samsungs support website.
http://support.samsung.de/support/suppo ... iletype=DR

they have vista and xp drivers. so you can try to get a winxp, format the hole drive and try it. dont forget to make a backup of your existing data :-D

i would format the whole vista sh!t and install the xp.
:regi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by :regi »

get a mac! :wink: just joking..a friend of mine wanted to switch from vista to xp but he heard that it's not possible.. :?