Make a living with (your) music

- ask away
frogger
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

yea

Post by frogger »

if you want to make money making music, get ready to make a lot of music that you hate!!
write tracks that are peak hour dancefloor jammers or find some MCs and write hip hop!!

I've been doing sound design, recording and mixing bands, and lots of editing of a bunch of shitty music, it doesn't pay the bills but it funds studio upgrades.

Der geile Ami is right diverse skills are the way to go. And, where I live, if you have any kind of graphic design skills or programming skills, your golden!! Because if you can keep a big client from having to outsource to much, your in there like swimwear!!

I'm meeting with a client tomorrow to work on some cheerleading music!
sh!t yea sucka
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

Even though ive created hundreds of songs that could be released and fck some sh!t up...I could never, nor would i ever want to make a living or a career out of making (minimal) music. Im completely content with jamming out in my spare time as a hobby.
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

minimal house wrote:Even though ive created hundreds of songs that could be released and fck some sh!t up...I could never, nor would i ever want to make a living or a career out of making (minimal) music. Im completely content with jamming out in my spare time as a hobby.
riiiiiiight.
freeeeeee
minimal house
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by minimal house »

I know quite a few other producers that have no desire to try and make a living off of dance music. Believe it or not, there are people out there who do this for fun..not to make money, but for something to pass time like a hobby. And 9 times out of 10 id rather hear music from an amateur than a professional.
dunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dunkel »

mimusic wrote:
dunkel wrote: i live off of music alone ...
So what do you do to make this happen dunkel?
And how did you get there?
at one point i quitted my day job and all i did was music and music and some music too.
that made me look for opportunities to make some money out of it: DJ!!!
i travel a lot so i never get a strong reputation in a city or country, but i do make a living wherever i go (living means rent, bread and some butter :wink: ).
anyway, it only gets better and im really not the one that dreams of becoming a villalobos, i enjoy going through life doing what i like and i think thats the major difference between me and other artists that want to be 'the best' rather than doing whats right and true for themselves.
(that was a very honest moment! you are now a friend)

:P :wink:
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989
dunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dunkel »

btw, i didnt do that but my friends have a label of their own (each one of them) and they put out their own music on it.
its tons of work so a lazy bastard like me can only 'plan' doing as such :roll:
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

For my part, I work for 1/3 of the year, the rest, I do music or music related contracts. It's very hard though and when I need gear, I go back on a job for a certain time. 2 Years ago, I managed to live a year and a half on contracts and my savings, it was a bliss but it didn't last. Although it was the moment where I learned the most.