hawtin effects

- ask away
vip32
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by vip32 »

mmm, maybe silly for you. helpfull for me.
anyway i found the psp42 vst and really like it :) thx for the insight.
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

I wasn't aware of that the thread was about that someone needed the same effects to make equally good music - I thought someone just wanted to know, of whatever reason it might be ;)

EDIT: I saw the first message now... ;)

EDIT2: ofcourse, it depends on the incoming sound, but:

about getting metallic sounds/effects, I'd send the signal to a bus and use a ringmod. (or some fm-thingie maybe) which goes into a spring reverb and then some delay on that... would probably result in metallic wobbly sound if used "correctly" (whatever that means), I'm not sure if that's what you're after, but.. give it a shot.

side note: I'm not aware how wobbly software spring reverbs can sound hence I'm using hardware ones myself. I can imagine that the software plugins for such is a bit too sterile/perfect (like even the hardware z-shaped springs do)

hope this will be of some kind of help, or atleast opened some ideas for that sound/effect you're after.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

adam wrote:wow.. this is the silliest topic post in a long time :)

fx are fx. there is no one package that totally stands out from the rest... build from what you have... have a couple nice plugins and/or an external processor and have fun.
I agree.
vst effects are not a big deal unless you don't know how to chain them right to get the results you want.
it's far more important to have good vsti's
rkampschoer
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by rkampschoer »

Torque wrote:
adam wrote:wow.. this is the silliest topic post in a long time :)

fx are fx. there is no one package that totally stands out from the rest... build from what you have... have a couple nice plugins and/or an external processor and have fun.
I agree.
vst effects are not a big deal unless you don't know how to chain them right to get the results you want.
it's far more important to have good vsti's
True, but I also think that it sometimes can be important to have good FX if you use them with for example Ableton (and you get your audio from hardware).

:)
www.robinkampschoer.com
sometimes, less is more...
jpls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jpls »

i disagree with the statement that "fx are fx". i do believe that every
fx unit/plugin can have a proper purpose at some point, but its really
obvious to me that the waves Rverb sounds way better than the
ableton default reverb....and the TC reverb i have is somewhere
in the middle of those...

but the psp is ridiculous...i love these plugins. they remind me of how
the eventide 949 can make anything sound a little better.

i hate discussing things like this since i feel like i am immediately
imposing my view on others...i heavily discriminate the quality of
plugins and i do not care if anyone else is doing so...i just thought i
would add my support for psp.
keithkemp
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by keithkemp »

Hawtin does not use the DP4 anymore.
this rig was retired after the DFX909 tour(s), and was replaced with the Powerbook and Live.
the last time i was close enought to witness the set-up, he had the Lexicon PSP running on his Powerbook as previously stated.
i am almost 100% positive he still uses the looper.
at Fuse-In, rich was also using said Mac to control the whole lighting rig with MIDI as well.
i have both Timewarp sets. Rich normally uses a setting on the Lexicon that emulates a tape delay. his "use" is to usually delay tracks in quarter note divisions, however when feedback and time/beat divisions are tweaked to the max, a metallic, chorus-like sound develops. this can be done on most delays...
Richie's set-ups usually reflect meticulous preperation as well as consistent use of products/software that perform.
although his sets sound like they are from another world, his use of simple delay fx and loops allows him to get in and out of any record/loop at anytime...his genius is being able to mix in key, the CNTRL mixer and having the most devastating tracks/mp3s.
to emulate this effect:
Using the ping-pong delay in Ableton Live, click the button switch the SYNC button to TIME, make sure the dry/wet knob is 100%, the feedback up as far as it goes (95% i think) and drop the time down to 0.00 or somewhere around there...
hope this helps.
r.crosson
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

fx

Post by r.crosson »

keithkemp wrote:Hawtin does not use the DP4 anymore.
this rig was retired after the DFX909 tour(s), and was replaced with the Powerbook and Live.
the last time i was close enought to witness the set-up, he had the Lexicon PSP running on his Powerbook as previously stated.
i am almost 100% positive he still uses the looper.
at Fuse-In, rich was also using said Mac to control the whole lighting rig with MIDI as well.
i have both Timewarp sets. Rich normally uses a setting on the Lexicon that emulates a tape delay. his "use" is to usually delay tracks in quarter note divisions, however when feedback and time/beat divisions are tweaked to the max, a metallic, chorus-like sound develops. this can be done on most delays...
Richie's set-ups usually reflect meticulous preperation as well as consistent use of products/software that perform.
although his sets sound like they are from another world, his use of simple delay fx and loops allows him to get in and out of any record/loop at anytime...his genius is being able to mix in key, the CNTRL mixer and having the most devastating tracks/mp3s.
to emulate this effect:
Using the ping-pong delay in Ableton Live, click the button switch the SYNC button to TIME, make sure the dry/wet knob is 100%, the feedback up as far as it goes (95% i think) and drop the time down to 0.00 or somewhere around there...
hope this helps.

I love keith kemp!
jpls
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jpls »

keithkemp wrote:... his use of simple delay fx and loops allows him to get in and out of any record/loop at anytime...his genius is being able to mix in key...

would you be willing to elaborate on this?..expecially the mixing in key
reference.