how do you approach music when producing?

- ask away
Jesse Somfay
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Jesse Somfay »

I just make beautiful music and then I finish off with a huge smile on my face ;) That is how I make music.
Layborn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Layborn »

I sit down..have a class of gin..look out the window on a late night..and construct the story in my head. Then write the soundtrack to that story.

Done
-Layborn-
Unclean
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Unclean »

Layborn: Nice ! :wink:

I start with sample of anything (drum, melody, misc.) and end with totally destructed sample in 8beat loop :)
Then I use this sample with another ones to build a track...
Im lazy, so It is most hard work 4 me to build a sequencered track... :o/
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

good topic :D

I don't really make minimal per-se but there is a method to my maddness.

I always start with the drums
First i lay down the basic minimal rythm of the track with the drums
then i start tuning the drums bringing them all into exact tune with eachother until they ring out in the basic tone and texture i'm looking for
usually then i can base the key of the track off of the drums then the synth parts kinda magicly jump out at me pretty quickly
i also like to throw in at least one random element that can give the entire track a kind of swirling feel
the rest is top secret 8)

I used to go by the order out of chaos approach but i found it's hard for me to draw my soul into it that way with all the confusion.
pdomino
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by pdomino »

Nice topic

I begin by having a folder for each track, named accordingly, from previous days of lost audio etc etc

32 bar loop in SX2, after ive found and copied audio to folder and stated tempo.

Away you go with plugz / vsti`s :)
Solid
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Solid »

[none]
EdoVanAsseldonk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by EdoVanAsseldonk »

For most of the time I start with a melody or bassline and work from there.

I almost never start with drums as a basis of my tracks, although I've played drums for several years, I don't see them as a start of my tracks. I find it much easier to fill in the music when I have a bassline or melody or chords. It can be quit difficult to find a good melody or bassline or whatever should be the main element of a track. It usually takes me about a week to find the main theme, and another week to create the full track.

Sometimes I have an idea of a track I want to make. But that usually turn out complete the other way. So if I wanna make a heavy bassline track I end up with some really sweet song and if I wanna make a very minimalistic track I end up with a song with a bassline, some chords playing over it a melody another melody playing against it, some synths to further fill things etc.
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

Ii start with pizza, coke and a liveset.