a little help please

- ask away
leecurtiss
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

a little help please

Post by leecurtiss »

i recently purchased a new sony vaio and an m audio firewire 410. i loaded the drivers and hooked everything up and it was working perfectly, as of last night i cannot get the computer to acknowledge my firewire input, i've unhooked it and rehooked it and restarted it many times. if any of you computer wizzes can give me some help i would greatly appreciate it

thank you
are3as
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by are3as »

This is the same thing that happended to my brother. He has an Apple laptop and the same M-audio 410.

It sounds like you either blew the port altogether, or your computer finally recognized the firewire software as not being compatible with your computer. You will probably have to search for updates to the firewire software loaded on your computer. My brother searched for the Firm firewire updates, downloaded them and the interface/computer were golden then.

you might have blown the port altogether, which in the worst scenario, you would have to buy a new card. It really sucks because sometimes many of these issues are not addressed because operating systems and software are being updated at such a fast pace.

hopefully this can help.......
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

hey curtis, we have a similar setup and I had my loads of problems with the 410. Here's some tips I learned in since I have it:

- Never plug/unplug the firewire while you're in windows. Do it when the computer is off.
- Sometimes when you boot, turn on the 410 when at the Windows login page (not before, not after). If windows doesn't detect it, reboot.
- Do not plug the firewire cable in slot 1 of the Firewire. For me, only slot 2 works... don't ask me why.

If you can make it work, you'll see its a great card. I'm not sure I will keep it in the long run as all these bugs gets on my nerves (espacially when I play live, I don't need to worry about all these probs).

Good luck! :wink:
leecurtiss
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by leecurtiss »

thanks fellas, i'll try to dl some updates and when i get a minute i'll check and see if i blew the firewire port.
leecurtiss
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by leecurtiss »

and by the way pheek, you are the man your releases have had my head spinning for the last few months
rkampschoer
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by rkampschoer »

Hi there,

I use a G4 Powerbook in combination with a 410 firewire card.
What I do is that I always first turn on the card, and then turn on my laptop.
By me, the card works in either of the two firewire ports (but don't ask me why ;) ).
I also never unplug the card from the laptop when one of them is turned on, although the little blue led is always on even when the Powerbook is turned off (because of the laptop's battery).
Also, I never use the external power supply, as the card is powered by the laptop.

I must say that when I keep these things in mind, I'm really very happy with the soundcard and it's working great.

Good luck!
:)
www.robinkampschoer.com
sometimes, less is more...
leecurtiss
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by leecurtiss »

i am a little ashamed to say that after almost losing my mind over the whole issue, i checked my firewire cord and noticed that a big nick had been taken out of it. :oops: i bought a new one and everything works perfectly.
rkampschoer
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by rkampschoer »

leecurtiss wrote:i am a little ashamed to say that after almost losing my mind over the whole issue, i checked my firewire cord and noticed that a big nick had been taken out of it. :oops: i bought a new one and everything works perfectly.
Haha, don't worry!
The most important thing is that it works:)

Have fun with it...

Robin
:)
www.robinkampschoer.com
sometimes, less is more...