minilogue analog kick...

- ask away
ksandvik
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ksandvik »

victorgonzales wrote:layering kicks is the best. I ussually use two or three kicks layered into one. find the best frequencies from multiple kicks and filter em into one.
I like kick layering, myself, one strong low end, and one that could be heard with iPod use, so then it covers both cases. Just need to make sure that no flamming is happening, and that each one has presence at their own moments. --Kent
entek
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by entek »

ksandvik wrote: Just need to make sure that no flamming is happening, and that each one has presence at their own moments. --Kent
that's where compression comes in. :) but i d like to ask those who use it,do u use sidechaining for the layers of the kick or just compression?
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

entek wrote:
ksandvik wrote: Just need to make sure that no flamming is happening, and that each one has presence at their own moments. --Kent
that's where compression comes in. :) but i d like to ask those who use it,do u use sidechaining for the layers of the kick or just compression?
Never thought of using sidechain. That would probably work really well.
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

Seems to me that sidechaining would defeat the purpose of layering them in the first place.
entek
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by entek »

jessejames wrote:Seems to me that sidechaining would defeat the purpose of layering them in the first place.
sidechaining certain freqs,or with a short release time or maybe with big attack time can give some good effects when layering imo..thing is,is it necessary to sidechain or just use a plain compression and get same results?
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

entek wrote:
jessejames wrote:Seems to me that sidechaining would defeat the purpose of layering them in the first place.
sidechaining certain freqs,or with a short release time or maybe with big attack time can give some good effects when layering imo..thing is,is it necessary to sidechain or just use a plain compression and get same results?
I prfer to just use eq filters with no compression. Ussually there is not a problem with the kicks interfering withone another as long as they aren't peaking the same frequency.
etnarama
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by etnarama »

I can almost bet all my money that they did their kick on wavelab... a very standard practice for people with their background of Psy...

So its easy open WAVELAB or any Audio editor thingy and draw a Sine wave with a root at 43hz and then draw loads of different pitchbends till you reach what you like (soundwise)

theres some tutorials aroudn the net but currently i cant find none...

A good thiing is that the kick has a note and you can put the bass on the same note and PHAT PHAT PHAT

Good luck
Paulo
Visit me on http://www.myspace.com/paulodafonseca
Comments and critiques are always welcomed...
provaznik
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by provaznik »

i use offline synthesis (the wavelab thing, but audacity for me) all the time. it is such a good way to get your bass and kicks to stay out of eachothers way. when you make the sound from the ground up like this you get to define exactly where its emphasis lies which makes getting it to sit right in the mix all the easier.